Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got a really bad knock in the car....help me out

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got a really bad knock in the car....help me out

The other night on the way home from work I started getting a really bad knock in the engine. After consulting w/several people, the general consensus is that its a rod or crank bearing. I know in order to replace these items you have to drop the oil pan. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase new "stock" bearings, and if so any other info would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Tyler
Old 09-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: I've got a really bad knock in the car....help me out

ttt
Old 09-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Well, unfortunately, you don't just replace rod bearings like you were replacing wheel bearings on your Dad's Nova.

If in fact you have spun a bearing, you're talking about a tear down, and machine work. You're going to probably have to replace the rod, and turn/polish the crank on the affected journal. Just throwing a new bearing into an out-of-round rod, then bolting it to a galled up crank isn't going to put your woes behind you.

Sorry man..
Old 09-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

A complete teardown? Wow, I didnt know we were getting that deep. I would have assumed the 6 others who looked at it that drive LS1's would've mentioned it to me.

Why would the rod itself be screwed up and why would the crank be screwed up? It happened, and the car was driven maybe 3 miles at under 3K rpms and has been sitting the last 3 days.

Anyone else actually ever dealt with this? Anyone have any clue if its worth trying to take it to Chevy with my aftermarket warranty even though the engine is modded (stg 2 heads/cam)?