Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I know another rearend question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know another rearend question

I know there are threads out there sorry but i can't find what im looking for.

I was looking to install a 12 bolt or a 9 inch. But i was wondering what you guys would suggest etc.? and what company or companies would you suggest, Moser/Strange, etc.

I would like it easy to work on or if i want to take it to one of the mechanic's i know they will be able to work on it, fluids etc.

I have an auto with vig 3k stall and this car gets babied, goes to the track a couple times a year and isn't a DD. What would you guys recommand: Just don't know what add ons i would need. Spline, ABS, Gear Ratio, other options.

Looking at these setups. Unless you guys think something else will work better.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=147
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=146
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

Also, A side note, I'll be getting the BMR drag setup with work to the motor soon after that. Possibly Livernois. They are one of the closest around. (Michigan)

Thought you guys would maybe able to point me in some kind of direction.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

i say 9", but since your auto most would say go with the 12 bolt, but as we all know the 12 bolt has been broken many times before whereas the 9" is a tad harder to accomplish, better safe than sorry

id say either 31 or 33 spline axles, and 3:73s

Last edited by blown03mustang; 09-14-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

... 9" ....if you plan on alot of power eventually. Ford 9" and the Dana's are the best u can get.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:24 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with a Moser 9 inch with the Truetrac, either 3.70 or 4.11 gears.
If you just have ABS then you would want to go with the 3 channel option. You can verify this by looking at your 10 bolt, if it has a connection going into the top of the center of the differential then it has the 3 channel ABS.
If you have ABS/TCS then you would want to go with the 4 channel option. You can verify this by looking at your 10 bolt, if it has what looks like sprockets (reluctor rings) by the brakes, and no connection going into the center housing, then it is the 4 channel option.
I'd go with the lower control arm relocation brackets, which allow you to adjust the lower control arms for maximum traction. Bob
Old 09-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12 bolt is fine too, its not the end of the world if you dont have TQ arm bolts that dont go all the way through.

Also consider the power level your running at. I got a bud who runs a 402 LS2 block in a 01 Ws.6 that weighs like 3200 pounds, Moser 12 bolt, now w/ spool (before had a Eaton posi that never gave an issue), 150 shot running 9.60's w/ 1.41 60 foots.

The only thing he complains about is he wants to shorten the rear to fit bigger tires lol.