Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Question

When I bought my custom fabbed 9" it came with redline shockproof gear oil as far as I could tell. The only pink gear oil I could find. I got a new set of gears going in and Im gonna just use dino oil to break it in with a bottle of limited slip. I am not sure what brand of limited slip it has in it is my concern. Here is the desprition from summit.

Gear Lube, Shockproof Heavy Gear Oil, 75W90, Limited Slip, Synthetic, 1 qt., Each

Reduce friction and prevent gear tooth breakage.
Red Line heavy ShockProof gear oil is a unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent. It provides a unique solid dispersion, which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throw-off and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90. This gear oil is recommended for heavily loaded racing differentials and transmissions, off-road racing, and problem gearboxes.

But I have read on here dont use synthetic on the 9 inch. Should I send it back or continue to use it?