Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt Help

I have a 10 bolt in my 87 Z28 with Richmond 4:10's and an Auburn diff.(A4 tranny) The gears whined when setup but recently i was going down the hiway and it started grinding very badly. I pulled over went home and trailored the car to my garage, where i pulled off the cover and checked it out. It seems that the pinion nut (big 1 1/4" nut bhnd driveshaft) was VERY loose. my uncle said if i tightened it up and put everything back it should be okay. I did but the car seems to WHine much louder than before, otherwise it performs alright. Maybe i should have my gears re-setup?? what do u think? sorry for the long post thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Based on your description of your fix,you didn't mention anything of the torque you tightened it back up to.Tightening of that 1 1/4 nut requires an occasional check on pinion preload torque to attain a value of about 10 in.lbs.(difficult to measure/estimate with carrier installed and without an in.lb.dial torque wrench.
Lot of wrench torque required to properly tension the crush sleeve.