Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

87 Octane Question -- Atlanta Gas Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 87 Octane Question -- Atlanta Gas Crisis

Hey guys,

We're having a bit of an issue with the gas supply in Atlanta. The majority of stations do not have gas and consequently, there is an immediate run on those stations that do. My issue is that last night, I was fortunate enough to find gas, however the station only had regular. Rather than running out of gas and getting a tow home, I filled up with regular (87 octane) and everything seems to be OK.

Now onto the big question -- Please check out my mods below. Compression is roughly 11.0:1 and I'm riding around on a conservative nitrous tune. Last night, I had an encounter with a G35 that under normal circumstances, I would've simply obliterated, however I wasn't comfortable pushing the car to WOT (because of fear of knocking, pinging, detonation, etc.) and I chose not to play around with him. Is it safe to use 87 octane in my well modded car? While I know it isn't ideal by any means, is it still relatively safe to have a little WOT fun? I presume it would probably also be a bad idea to spray a 100 rwhp shot on regular gas as well?

Thanks for all of your help with this,

JB
Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wait till you find some superESPECIALLY with the spray. I will only put 87 in my stock engine fullbolton car if that's all that's left and I'm on empty, otherwise I run super 93. You should be fine for just getting around though. I wouldn't race on 87 in mine. I don't even like how it drives with 87.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on motor you should be fine but i definitely wouldnt juice it with low octane gas...especially with that compression...but it does depend on if you have a nitrous tune that drops timing when hitting it with spray...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. During the shortage, I mixed in a few gallons of 109 octane and that helped out a lot. I stayed out of the bottle and only got into the throttle a couple good times, however at least I was able to get from point A to point B without sputtering!

Fortunately, now I have a full tank of premium sitting in my baby! Game on!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dam that sucks i dont even like running 91 in mine i would get some unleaded race fuel and dump it in to be safe then due a few data logs and look for some KR. then go from there.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were at Petit Le Mans last week, and had to use race gas to get around for most of the weekend I feel your pain