Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Magnetic Ride Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic Ride Control

Was this an available option in a 99 C5? I was impressed with this article http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...003/msrc2.html

Last edited by sslateron; 10-01-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

Default Selective Ride before 2003- Magnetic Ride 2003 and after

Mag ride in '99? No. there was "Selective ride" that was a switch on the console with 3 settings.

each shock would have a motor on top of it and when you changed the switch setting, the shock motor (each of them) would adjust the dampening rate of the 4 shocks...

Crap if you asked me... I've driven at least 5 HUNDRED C5's and honestly I thought the standard suspension was better. You can't tell much of a difference in rate on the adjustable except for the fact that it's "twitchy" on the highway when set to performance.

Worthless option, and the shocks/motors are expensive when it's time to replace.

Magnetic Ride started in 2003.

It rocks.

There are 2 settings on the console. One is touring, one is sport.

The system consists of each shock (with no motor like before) filled with fluid.... the fluid has iron metal shavings mixed with the liquid.... when you turn the console switch to "sport" there are magnets that energize an the iron shavings making the fluid harder to go through a fixed orifice..

You can tell the difference... it is magic... the only down side to this is that the shocks will fail even if the car isn't driven. The seals fail. ($1,900 for the set)

There is a retrofit that will let you use Bilstein shocks and Capsers electronics will offer a "piggyback" so each shock wont sent trouble codes to the computer.

*** As much as a love the Magnetic Ride '03+ cars..... I'd rather one that has regular suspension, install '04 Zo6 shocks or Bilsteins (even better) and have similar handling and a very long life.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks man you know your stuff!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a kit from GM to covert your 97-02 F45 suspension to the new F55 system. It consists of magnetic shocks, new computer, and jumper harness. You can use your old 3 way switch or get a new 2 way one. I've done the conversion on my car but without the GM kit. I got some shocks and computer out of a wrecked 03 anniversary car with 400 miles on it. Thanks to Darin Dellinger at Delphi who helped us with the info we needed to do the conversion. He couldn't provide us with a jumper harness, so we had to rewire the tail end of the main harness into fewer, different connectors to connect to the new pcm. Its a night and day difference between my old F45 to the new F55. We were the first ones to do this without the kit outside of Delphi.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ the above needs a write up !
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

F45 was the option in 1999 is was call seletive real time dampening..it had three selections that was controlled by a **** on the consol.....F55 magnetic seletive ride control was the option that superseeded the F45 and has two seletions to choose from...it was first used in 2003...an is still available now.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Blue Boost
There is a kit from GM to covert your 97-02 F45 suspension to the new F55 system. It consists of magnetic shocks, new computer, and jumper harness. You can use your old 3 way switch or get a new 2 way one. I've done the conversion on my car but without the GM kit. I got some shocks and computer out of a wrecked 03 anniversary car with 400 miles on it. Thanks to Darin Dellinger at Delphi who helped us with the info we needed to do the conversion. He couldn't provide us with a jumper harness, so we had to rewire the tail end of the main harness into fewer, different connectors to connect to the new pcm. Its a night and day difference between my old F45 to the new F55. We were the first ones to do this without the kit outside of Delphi.
So the computer that runs MagneRide is a standalone?

Could a person take a MagneRide system from say a 2009 ZR1 and wire it to a C6 corvette?

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride Control