LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

backfire/weird acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backfire/weird acceleration?

After installing the lpp long tubes I drove it around and I have a lot of backfiring or something that sounds like backfiring and when I slowly accelerate the rpms kinda jump 200 rpms then go back down to where itis and then does it again and keeps doing it until I stopp accelerating and I think its throwing my service engine light on top of the noncats throwing the light...any ideas/help?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as i know the cats will not do anything...how are your front oxygen sensors? are they hooked up,tight, and connectors plugged in. what you are hearing isnt exhaust leaks is it? If you have exhaust leaks it can give false o2 readings and dump more fuel in your engine, in which will make it backfire when letting off the gas
Old 10-05-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

actually let me clarify, if you dont have cats but have the rear o2 sensors unplugged, or plugged in without the trick modules then it will throw the ses light on
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

when you installed the headers did you take out all the spark plugs. if not you may have a small crack on a plug if you let the headers rest on them knowing or not or two causing this or you have bad wires like stated in the last post in the llp thread. i would put a fresh set in anyway some NGK TR55 gapped at .035-.040. But check your wires and make sure you have no exhaust leak.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When i was replacing gaskets on mine i somehow managed to break the coolant tempeture sensor and it was backfiring like crazy. You might wana give that a try. Go to Vatozone and ask them to scan it for you.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Arching plugs wires?,Correct firing order?, broken temp sensor?, Need to get the rear o2 EGR/air codes deleted?. Its not the headers.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i knew it wasnt the headers i was just trying to figure out what i did in the process of the header install that could have caused this to happen...the temp sensor i actually had to replace so that was done before the install was complete, what is arching plug wires? and how woul di check for the correct firing order?
Old 10-05-2008, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

did you mark the plugs wires and put them back in the same order they came off? I have also heard there are 2 temp sensors and alot of the time they give the wrong one when ordering it.
Arching plug wires is when the spark actually jumps to the closest metal or plug wire. You can see this in the dark and hear it too sometimes.

Are all your wire caps seated all the way on the plugs? And get all the wires as far from the headers as possible so they dont arch or burn.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i made sure none of them touched the headers, i know for a fact of this we even had to ziptie a couple...we made sure the temp sensor was right...ill check to make sure the caps are seated all the way on the plugs and im pretty sure the plug wires are back on the same plugs they came off of

Quick Reply: backfire/weird acceleration?