Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big shots of Propane and cylinder fillng??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 03:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big shots of Propane and cylinder fillng??

I am wondering if I ran something along the line of a 300 shot of propane...if there would be a problem stuffing that much in the cylinders. It seems that propane coming out in gaseous form would displace alot more than gasoline. How much do you think could be stuffed in a 346 or 383 making 400-450 rwhp
Old 09-11-2003, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: big shots of Propane and cylinder fillng??

are you spraying this along with nitrous i presume.

if the engine can compress a liquid - gasoline, then it should be able to compress the gasous propane.

id start out small and work yoyur way up so you get every thing dialed in right.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Well...Im not worried about the compression part, once its in the cylinder...it will be compressed. But an NA engine can only suck in so much air (or nitrous/propane). It will reach a point where you just cant squeeze any more nitrous in the motor. Normally thats not a problem at our HP levels. But Im wondering if large shots of propane/nitrous will reach that point alot sooner. Seems like it would.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Restricted User

Hmmm, I am tracking with this Al, and hopefully once i start the propane/nitrous I wont be the one ot find out the hard way..but theres always the satisfaction knowing you were there first!
When might you plan on trying the propane route?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

I'm heading that way. Going to try a small Nitrous Jet and see how it acts. I plan on adjusting it by using a regulator at the tank. The nitrous will come later, I just want to see how the IAT and timing respond.

Where would a get a boost activated switch? what are they call HOBS? switch..
Old 09-11-2003, 10:24 PM
Restricted User

Ripped 427, how you going to monitor IAT? If you spray behind the MAF, in front of the TB then there you should be circumventing the IAT altogether. If you spray the N+P thru the MAF you will then be adding gas ontop of the propane causing a extremely rich condition. OR am I missing something here?
Old 09-12-2003, 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NX makes a 3 and 5 psi hobbs switch for around $25

Where would a get a boost activated switch? what are they call HOBS? switch..

Old 09-12-2003, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Ripped 427, how you going to monitor IAT? If you spray behind the MAF, in front of the TB then there you should be circumventing the IAT altogether. If you spray the N+P thru the MAF you will then be adding gas ontop of the propane causing a extremely rich condition. OR am I missing something here?
With the Radix the IAT sensor is move to the manifold after the blower but before the intercooler. I use a EASE scan tool to monitor things.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Propane will take up more room than gas. Most of the time you can add about 50% more power. So if you make 600hp you can add around 300hp before you start getting into problems. If you went direct port than you can probably get a little more through it. On mostly stock LS1's we starting seeing diminishing returns after about 125-150hp. We could pick up somewhere between 180-200RWHP depending on the car. But when we tested the propane kit by itself with out the dry kit as we went up in jet size we saw less improvment. For example a 47/28 would get about 75-80RWHP but a 61/32 (50HP more nitrous) would only make 100-105RWHP. This was consitent on both cars. Now there is a viper with the same knid of setup, in fact it is the one that gave BTR the idea to do it. He just keeps putting bigger and bigger jets in it and just keeps getting faster. Right now he is running just over 300HP on a stock Viper. The only main diffrence is that he runs the propane as a gas and not liquid. I don't know if this would make a diffrence in how much you could run I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Did I make sense?
Old 09-12-2003, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Propane will take up more room than gas. Most of the time you can add about 50% more power. So if you make 600hp you can add around 300hp before you start getting into problems. If you went direct port than you can probably get a little more through it. On mostly stock LS1's we starting seeing diminishing returns after about 125-150hp. We could pick up somewhere between 180-200RWHP depending on the car. But when we tested the propane kit by itself with out the dry kit as we went up in jet size we saw less improvment. For example a 47/28 would get about 75-80RWHP but a 61/32 (50HP more nitrous) would only make 100-105RWHP. This was consitent on both cars. Now there is a viper with the same knid of setup, in fact it is the one that gave BTR the idea to do it. He just keeps putting bigger and bigger jets in it and just keeps getting faster. Right now he is running just over 300HP on a stock Viper. The only main diffrence is that he runs the propane as a gas and not liquid. I don't know if this would make a diffrence in how much you could run I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Did I make sense?
So you are putting the propane in the engine as a liquid? Or did I mot understand what you were saying.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the reply snowSS. Thats what I was looking for. I would like to incorporate atleast on stage as propane. The first stage must be dry only to use the computer tuning to kick th timing over to the lower timing setup....but after that I can do whatever setup I want. I wonder if I hit it with a 150 dry at 3000 rpms and then two stages of propane at 4250 and 5500 if I could stuff another 175-250 hp worth of propane/nitrous in there. The rpms on the two later stages will help...as well as the increased cubes (383). But it sounds like it will be tough to fit it all in.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-12-2003, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

This should answer what I thought was your original question.

FWIW, you can't put LPG into your engine. As soon as its not under pressure it becomes a gas. You could get liquid to the point of entry vs gas, and thats probably what SnowSS was getting at.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Never mind the idea of propane with nitrous. If your looking for the trick setup that was outlawed in ProMod racing and just about any other class that allows nitrous is a nitrogen/nitrous setup. If your looking to make more power with your nitrous setup this was proven to work with very much success. You could always maintain the bottle psi needed and really all that was needed was basiclly a regulator and a bottle of liq. nitrogen. You could always tell when a racer was running a nitrogen posted nitrous system because when the car made a pass and once the system was activated you would see a blue flame shooting out of the exhaust. But this made big power! I would not hesitate to run a system like this if you where out street racing.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Liquid nitrogen?
Ive been using a nitrogen push sytem for about a year. But I use regular nitrogen.

It does work well. For me its worth about 30-50 hp at the top of the track. Probably .1 tenths and a few mph.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Liquid nitrogen?
Ive been using a nitrogen push sytem for about a year. But I use regular nitrogen.

It does work well. For me its worth about 30-50 hp at the top of the track. Probably .1 tenths and a few mph.
Why are you thinking of switching to propane?
Old 09-15-2003, 01:54 AM
TECH Veteran

the nitrogen doesnt do anything except keep nitrous pressure stable...no pressure drop during runs. I would still b using it...even if i went to propane. Which would just be another fuel source.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Teching In

The chart that ripped427 posted is exactly what I was talking about. I've never seen that chart before where did you find it?