PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand-alone PCM harness for diagnostics and testing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Stand-alone PCM harness for diagnostics and testing?

I'm trying to implement a simple SAE J1979 library for use with consumer scanning tools. I've laid out about 40 of the 135 datagrams, and I've got enough of the functions ready to do some meaningful testing. But development is a serious pain in the *** at the moment...

Since this project is very new, I'm still doing a lot of unit testing and debugging rather than data logging. And usually that means sitting in the car and propping the laptop up on the steering wheel.

I've tried parking the car in the garage and setting up a folding table next to it so I have a work surface for my laptop. Then I run the cable to the interface box through the open window of the driver's side door. This has worked out OK so far, but it's still pretty ghetto.

I'd love to find or build a standalone harness so I can bring the PCM to my desk, "boot" it into a key on, engine off state, and do some of my unit-testing that way, at least until I have enough code together to do some data logging. I've seen the programming harnesses at SpearTech, but I'm not sure if that's what I really need.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a bench harness tutorial/write up on the www.efilive.com website. You can find links to various vendors that sell the parts you need from the EFILive forum too.