LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

hit a deer...anybody know where I might find a black GXP nose clip in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hit a deer...anybody know where I might find a black GXP nose clip in Houston?

Ran into a small deer (thank God I'd slowed down) and cracked the nose (and bent the hood, busted a headlamp, etc.) Anyhow, my bodyshop mentioned that GM uses dyed black body pieces but sells pieces that have to be painted and aren't quite as good as the ones dyed in the factory. My insurance company also wants to use LKQ parts. I'm ok with that but I want to make sure I get the right nose piece (the GXP nose is different than the base GP.) Does anyone know of a good salvage yard that may have this in or around Houston? I know it's a random request, but you never know until you ask.

Thanks all,
BJ

Oh, I fixed the leaking upper rad hose (that turned out to be the main issue rather than the WP) but I still smell coolant (no puddles though!)
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

first off LKQ junk yard is one of the biggest yard in the us, and some of the best used parts i have ever laid eyes on, never any rust, maybe 1 small dent, just great used parts

what are you talking about "dyed", if you believe that shop is saying we "dye" the car , your sadly mistaken, and the shop sees you coming a mile away
we prep, we paint, we mask, we use paint guns to spray we dont "dye" panles on a car that is a first for me and iam going to have to show this to the guys at work

sounds to me you have state farm, drop the car off at the shop and dont worry about a thing most shop are service first or direct repair with state farm,
if ya dont have state farm or allstate LKQ will know about the car when the parts guy orders your parts via the vin number, and we the techs know what to look for dont worry dont bring the shop parts as that will do you no good

ya do that then the shop cant return nothing its a bad thing we dont like when customers bring us parts to fix there car, so iam sayin let the shop fix it, get your rental and wait for your car to be done
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thinking he was talking about the substrate color, but that was in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's where the subs were black, tan and I believe white.

OEM and aftermarket interior parts from that era were painted (or "dyed") to match. That was the era of the 30 different colors of red that turned pink from the sun. Nowadays most of the subs are 90% color matched already before any paint is applied.

All exterior panels are painted like Bdy said.

State Farm will repair your car. If they get a used part it will be from a car as new or newer with less miles than your car has.

Interestingly I was opposed to "aftermarket" parts until I got in an accident with my S-Blazer. The OEM chrome bumper rusted and was replaced three times under warranty. Accident, was replaced with "quality aftermarket" and it never rusted!

OEM is ALWAYS trying to cut cost, which eventually crosses over into the quality sections.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

There are several salvage places on Harwin.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Gotcha. Thanks for all of the info. The body shop owner is a friend so I thought I'd help out with that part. The insurance company is Central, rather than State Farm or Allstate. My wife made the switch and apparently skipped the rental car check box. That's ironic because we just sold our third vehicle and I'm in outside sales so I'll be paying a penny or two on rentals. Fun stuff.