LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered my BFG KDW2's for the front and Eagle F1's for the rear, they'll probably get put on Friday. Just bought some duralast rotors & ceramic pads too, but I may return the duralast pads for some hawk ceramics.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont use DURA CRAP Stuff from AutoZone PLEASE
Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Panther427
Dont use DURA CRAP Stuff from AutoZone PLEASE
Haha, I'll be getting the hawk pads but sticking to the durastuff rotors as long as they look like the OEM ones. General consensus among the autox crowd is that the cheapo's do the job with some quality pads and they're cheap enough to replace when they do go out...since generally the pricier ones won't see much added benefit.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have hawks on everything I drive except the GXP. You can't go wrong with them!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i can understand the rotors far as cheap. use and trash. but ya use some good pads..
Old 03-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Default GXP Alignment Issues

So I own a 2005 G.P. GXP. I had the front end replaced due to noise at approx. 40,000 miles.

Yesterday I had the transmission replaced. The car has 50,000 miles. I was told the transmission is too small for the car and that I should expect to have to do it again if I don't replace the cars. All of this was done under warranty.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Trans is fine, but just barely.... Did you have a stock replacement? Should have gotten some upgrades done!

Do you beat on it?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Red03GT
Alright, I had it aligned.

Right Rear
Camber = -1.0
Toe = -0.11" Now: 0.07

Left Rear
Camber = -1.7 Now: -1.6
Toe = -0.28" Now: 0.07"

So you were right, toe was screwed. Can't decide what tires to go with on the rear, if its just the nature of the car to kill them I don't see why I should stick some baller ones in the back.
I know this thread is really really really old, but this would help me imensley.... I notice that your left rear camber is more negative than the right... After the shop did the alignment on my GXP, I never saw the spec sheet but just by looking I can see slightly more negative camber on the left than the right (I have good attention to detail lol).... Is that supposed to be like that? They say it's for road crown.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

i know this post is old but I'm having an alignment issue that I cant seem see the problem. I had my car aligned after they did some work and they said it could not be aligned. they said it was about neg 5 degrees and the tire also proves that its at a negative angle. they told me it was a bent shock, ive never saw a shock get bent from just driving and no accidents. not sure how these cars get aligned, the strut to knuckle bolts don't seem to make corrections. checked my strut mounts and they are all torn up, could this be the issue? I check all other culprits and nothing, ball joints are fine, wheel bearings are fine. getting new tires soon because threads are starting to show and need to get this fixed before I tear new 255s up.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by black_betty
i know this post is old but I'm having an alignment issue that I cant seem see the problem. I had my car aligned after they did some work and they said it could not be aligned. they said it was about neg 5 degrees and the tire also proves that its at a negative angle. they told me it was a bent shock, ive never saw a shock get bent from just driving and no accidents. not sure how these cars get aligned, the strut to knuckle bolts don't seem to make corrections. checked my strut mounts and they are all torn up, could this be the issue? I check all other culprits and nothing, ball joints are fine, wheel bearings are fine. getting new tires soon because threads are starting to show and need to get this fixed before I tear new 255s up.
-5degrees is almosmost impossible unless the vehicle was involved in a wreck. Strut mounts are torn up? Replace em. It's really hard to bend a monotone shock so I doubt that's your ussue. Got any pics of your ride?
Old 03-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

I cant verify the actual degrees but the tires show a substantial negative camber. the shock looks intact and I also thought the same thing. strut mounts are in the works. I don't have any right now ill take some tonight.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a fix to what is wrong but cant you install some camber bolts and bring the alignment back in?

Amazon.com: Moog K90474 Camber Adjusting Bolt Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Moog K90474 Camber Adjusting Bolt Kit: Automotive
Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

should I use those or elongate the bottom hole in accordance with the GM service manual? I know there is a bigger issue here and im starting with the strut tops, but don't want to tear the new tires too much while im figuring stuff out.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

anyone know the alignment specs for the GXP front? im afraid they are using the specs for the regular grand prix.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Can you post the alignment sheet you got from them?
Old 03-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

honestly never got one from them. my warranty mechanic had taken it and passed the word to me. I don't want to pay to have them tell me its off. I should see if someone will do a check for free. its bad enough that you can see it, looks intentional. I had it totally apart yesterday and nothing was worn or broken except for those strut tops, which are now ordered. like I said they said the shock itself was bent, but it looks identical to the other side. the pads show no signs of wheel bearing failure. the ball joints don't move on the top/bottom shake test. the control arms are straight from what I can see. car drives completely straight, I can let go at 75 and not grab for over a mile on straight flat road. im baffled because the usual suspects all check out.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

im thinking of just doing the strut hole filing or a camber bolt at this point. when I do the strut tops im going to pull the boot off the strut and look at the shaft for any abnormalities to discredit the last alignment shops theory.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't bother with the strut modification until your strut mounts are there and installed properly remember the orientation of the guide underneath the strut bearing needs to be oriented properly

And FYI sears checks you out free of charge
Old 03-26-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go back and get sheet,its still in computer for a week or two in case u come back-u are ALLOWED to get it,or at least snap a pic of it on phone
Old 03-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black_betty
anyone know the alignment specs for the GXP front? im afraid they are using the specs for the regular grand prix.
Here you go. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails GXP alignment issues-alignment-specs-gp.jpeg  

Quick Reply: GXP alignment issues