LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Off Topic, but what the heck is this

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Topic, but what the heck is this

I know this has nothing to do with our cars, but i was bored today and was checking out chevy website and was looking at the cobalt SS (no im not getting one but i can say this car is a beast now) but i came upon this pic of the interior of the car

what theheck is that little thing to the left.. Is that for the turbo, its kinda wierd and i think stupid if its for the turbo.. I see a pic of a car on it also..
Old 02-25-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

are they offering that from the factory now? looks like the screen on the display is showing the air fuel.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would information about the boost or air fuel ratio be stupid?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

That is some GM-offered performance meter. IIRC, it debuted (sp?) at an auto show last year. I remember reading a thread about it somewhere...not sure where though.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea it's an option available in place of the standard boost gauge. While it offers alot of cool features, personally I think it looks stupid and out of place. I wouldn't want something the size of a GPS hanging off my a-pillar.

According to GMTunerSource.com, the $295 factory option has a host of features and integrated shift lights that can be set for every gear. The driver can view information about the car's engine torque and horsepower, g-force, boost, wideband air fuel ratio, barometric pressure, temperature, and battery voltage.

The RPD can also apparently disable traction control, stability control, and engage Competition Mode for when you want to push the limits of you and your 2009 Cobalt SS. The Chevrolet Cobalt may be overshadowed lately with news of its high-mileage replacement, but the RPD seems to us a great way to sustain interest in the high-performance models in the GM compact-car stable. If the RPD is well received, we wouldn't be surprised to see the option spread to other non-ECOtec models.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

i should of worded my thread better.. no that be awesome if u had something to tell you that info, what i meant was the fact that it looks like a gps mounted to your window.. Everyone has there difference in tastes, but i think it be better if they had this somewhere else or in digtal gauges..
Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is all the stuff it does... Doesn't make the Cobalt any more attractive though.
http://poplife.biz/men/?p=122045
Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree on the mounting point, but at $295 I'd be all over it.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

should be internal not externally mounted imo.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

i thought the cobalt ss's were supercharged.......
Old 02-26-2009, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

the old ones were, the new models are now turbochargered.. 260hp.. according to many auto sites, 0-60 in the low to mid 5 secs and quater at the mid to high 13's. just about the same maybe a little tad faster than out cars stock.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:36 AM
On The Tree

Very true steve, I have two buddies with SS/TC's and they are fast, if we pull traction we take them down the track though Now, modded, they smoke our asses, Hahn makes intakes, downpipes and exhaust for them now and with a tune they're making around 315 whp, 330ish wtq We just don't have the support without going turbocharged I test drove one of these new SS's before I bought my GXP, I had a cobalt before this car so I figured I'd see if I liked it. Drove them both on the same day and our cars pull harder, much harder than the cobalt did Plus the sound of the exhaust is not even comparable. That information unit shows max g's (like ours) a/f ratio, boost, and I believe it also shows IAT1 and IAT2 (Intake air temps before and after the turbo) That thing is friggin' sweet.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with Cherry. The cobalts are easy to fix up and match the Imp/Gxp. I got a buddy with one and all he has is an intake and custom exhaust and it puts the same numbers at the track as mine. When he gets his intercooler in I won't keep up. Untill my warranty goes out then its ***** to the wall!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM has an upgrade for the turbo engines too that takes it up to 290hp for like 500 bucks or somethin. Sure most people do their own thing but that still isn't bad at all. They're definitely fast, it's a shame it's still a Cobalt.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
I agree with Cherry. The cobalts are easy to fix up and match the Imp/Gxp. I got a buddy with one and all he has is an intake and custom exhaust and it puts the same numbers at the track as mine. When he gets his intercooler in I won't keep up. Untill my warranty goes out then its ***** to the wall!
wow i've raced a cobalt ss/sc with exhaust and intake and pretty much walked him off the line but they do have good high end
Old 02-27-2009, 04:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StealthV8
wow i've raced a cobalt ss/sc with exhaust and intake and pretty much walked him off the line but they do have good high end
That's the supercharged cobalts man, they only came with 205 horses from the factory and unless you stage 2 them they aren't that fast, but I have a buddy with a 2.9" pulley, meth injection, new injectors, plugs, heat exchanger, intake and exhaust and he beats me

The option we're talking about is only on the new TURBOCHARGED cobalts that come with 260 horses from the factory. And they have a stock quartermile of 13.8, and that was the 4-door!!!! They are everybit as fast as us with nothing done to them. They just don't feel as fast driving them because it's such a small car.

Also, GM still hasn't released their stage kit for the cobalt ss/tc yet my buddy zak is still waiting for them to do it. doesn't really matter so far because hahn has full support for the car with even a turbo upgrade. I've seen dyno sheets as high as 360 whp for that d@mn thing.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cherry gxp
That's the supercharged cobalts man, they only came with 205 horses from the factory and unless you stage 2 them they aren't that fast, but I have a buddy with a 2.9" pulley, meth injection, new injectors, plugs, heat exchanger, intake and exhaust and he beats me

The option we're talking about is only on the new TURBOCHARGED cobalts that come with 260 horses from the factory. And they have a stock quartermile of 13.8, and that was the 4-door!!!! They are everybit as fast as us with nothing done to them. They just don't feel as fast driving them because it's such a small car.

Also, GM still hasn't released their stage kit for the cobalt ss/tc yet my buddy zak is still waiting for them to do it. doesn't really matter so far because hahn has full support for the car with even a turbo upgrade. I've seen dyno sheets as high as 360 whp for that d@mn thing.
****, i missread your post, my bad. I was beat by a ss/sc with a full stage 2 kit and a smaller pully when i was stock, and when i pulled my interior, had some small stuff done, i was right with him.. He ran a 13.1 at like 107 mph..

if i race a ss/tc, i'm going to use my 100 shot
Old 02-27-2009, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

i wonder if chevy will go the extra mile now to put our this upgrade for the turbo with them cutting cars , SS models, and makes from there lists soon..
Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

No problem Stealth, I figured that's what happened, those little Beeznatches are fast as **** when modded. Like little bumble bees.

Steveman, that's a very good question. "Supposedly" The stage kit is still coming out, but who knows because they've pushed back the release date twice now and still haven't pinned one down. Therefore, they might be SOL until GM gets back on its feet.