LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Another Serp Belt/Tensioner Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Serp Belt/Tensioner Thread

I have a 2006 Imp SS. I love it. It hates me. The latest thing that went wrong was the serpentive belt denintegrated. For the second time. In a month. I found what was likely the root cause. I seems that of the three bolts that hold the drive belt tensioner assembly to the engine, the one on the side of the engine (facing the rear of the car) slowly worked it way out over time. Before it came completely out it was likely the source of the jerkyness I felt pulling out from stop lights (not racing). If it was loose, it could have cause the belt to jump track and shred the first time, a month ago.
Two days ago that one bolt came out completely. I heard it but didn't know what it was. Sounded like a shotgun. I then head the serp belt jump track. At this point the two remaining bolts on the face of the engine were probably all that was hold the tension on the belt. So the tensioner snapped in half.

If this happens to you consider the following
1) The bolt(s) are metric (obviously) 10x1.5x40 and can be purchased at any decent hardware store. Make sure you get a flanged face bolt
2)If the side(rear) bolt came out once, it could happen again. Put some thread locking compound on th bolt to ensure it doesnt happen again.
3)You will need a 17mm wrench to turn it. I stubby one with a decent offset will be usefull as there are clearly clearance issues (but when doesn't that happen).
4)When you replace the entire drive belt tensioner assy (as I have not) your best bet is to disassemble the motor mount mounts, remove or loosen the enterferance, and rotate the engine forward using a heavy duty jack and a 4x4 (wood) to keep from damaging the oil pan. The engine will not fall out as it is held in place put the a/v mount on top of the engine bay.

If this has not happened to you, you may want to consider putting lock tite on that bolt any way as a preventive measure.

I hope the next guy has bette luck than me. Im sure there will be a factory recall soon after I have done all this myself with my own money,

Peace

Ephron J
Old 04-10-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the good info

Quick Reply: Another Serp Belt/Tensioner Thread