LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Considering Diablo tuner? what are the pros/cons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Diablo tuner? what are the pros/cons?

I was cruising around last night and accidentally got into a race with a t/c cobalt sedan. i could tell it had word done to it hearing a bov, exhaust, etc. we started from a 40 roll, he wouldnt start from a dig, and beat me by alittle more than 1 car length. i know that those cars make a good amount of power but it still ticked me off a bit.

currently i only have the k/n intake and the magnaflow catback but since my warranty just expired im seriously considering getting the diablo tuner. i know that a full dyno tune would be better but there are no dyno shops around my area. before i buy it i just want some feedback on the pros/cons of the tuner
Old 04-30-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Stock vs stock both cars are really close in the 1/4. The Cobalt is slightly faster by a few tenths. However the Cobalt can get huge gains from just a tune, intake, and exhaust unlike us I believe we get about 10-15hp from a plug in tune and could get up to I believe 25-30 from a dyno tune if done correctly. With a tune you'll probably still not beat him. Also, 40mph is a bit much, did your trans even kick down to first gear for it?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

If you get the a diablo get a used one to save your money and get a tune done by 06monteSS. Don't compare apples to oranges either. You have to remember you have a 4 door family car and they had a 2 door t/c weapon.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by havelegs
Stock vs stock both cars are really close in the 1/4. The Cobalt is slightly faster by a few tenths. However the Cobalt can get huge gains from just a tune, intake, and exhaust unlike us I believe we get about 10-15hp from a plug in tune and could get up to I believe 25-30 from a dyno tune if done correctly. With a tune you'll probably still not beat him. Also, 40mph is a bit much, did your trans even kick down to first gear for it?
nope was in second the entire time. the kid in the car refused to race from a dig. not only that but it took me at least 2 minutes to make him realize what 3 honks means. it seems like he was a big fan of the ricer flyby. he seemed pretty surprised when i kept up with him for so long. but dont get me wrong, i hold cobalts in the highest respect with the amount of power then can put down.

Originally Posted by ohyeahjay
If you get the a diablo get a used one to save your money and get a tune done by 06monteSS. Don't compare apples to oranges either. You have to remember you have a 4 door family car and they had a 2 door t/c weapon.
is 06monteSS also Lew because ive only heard good things about his tunes. and im not one to underestimate the cobalt. myself being 18y/o i was seriously considering buying one if not for the lack of space. i knew that i was giving up some speed when buying the overpowered land yacht of a car. then again i would like to see him attempt take 4 people snowboarding....
Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

yeah 06monteSS is Lew. You won't go wrong with one of his tunes.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

that 40 roll killed you. if it was close from a 40 roll if you went from 35 you would have beaten him.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pro - easy to use, and have Lew to give a custom tune.

Con - not a dyno tune, and no tranny support from Diablo.

Quick Reply: Considering Diablo tuner? what are the pros/cons?