LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HID conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID conversion question

I’m looking to buy an HID kit for the fogs and/or low beams. I found these on ebay… Was wondering if they would work for my GXP… I tried doing some research on here and it looks like these cars require a relay… Do I need to buy a specific HID relay with harness or do I just need a ~$15 relay from Autozone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_4969wt_941
Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get an HID kit from DDM Tuning.

As far as relay harnesses go: they're pretty much all the same.

From http://www.diodedynamics.com/install/hidrelay.html

#5 is the plug in your harness that fits into the stock headlight wire plug. For H7 size, it is a red connector, for all other sizes, it is a black female connector.

1. Connect to Left Ballast input

2. Connect to Right Ballast input

NOTE: 1 & 2 may be reversed depending on where your battery is and how long the connector cable legs are.

3. Connect to the Positive + side of your battery.

4. Connect to the Negative - side of your battery.

Note: the negative power leg may also be connected to a solid chassis ground anywhere on the body of the vehicle.

5. Connect to your car's stock headlight power cable.

Note: This connection can be to either the right or left headlight power connector. The other headlight connector is no longer used.

How it works: The Headlight power connector (5) powers the relay (6) which provides power directly from the battery (3 & 4) through a fuse (7) to the HID ballasts (1 & 2).
For some reason, DDM Tuning's relay harness, from what I could tell from the limited pictures, uses both stock headlight power cables. Seems unnecessary as only one is needed.

Regardless, I recently purchased two new harnesses from eBay for $6.99 shipped each. One was a 9006 harness (for the lows) and the second one was a custom harness I had asked for for an H11 (our fogs) stock input that provides two 9006 (for the HID ballasts) outputs.

I have not received them yet so I cannot provide any details.

http://cgi.ebay.com/290480722078

No HIDs in halogen housings please.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

The HID relay harnesses I purchased came in and look good (not cheap). I haven't used them yet but for $6.99 shipped each, they're a steal.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GXP25
The HID relay harnesses I purchased came in and look good (not cheap). I haven't used them yet but for $6.99 shipped each, they're a steal.
If your going to do the fogs can you take pictures of the "important parts" of the instalation please i plan on doing it next week

Edit: i found a video on youtube of Steve Meade doing it on his Tahoe (great sound audio videos) **** looks easy loll
Old 10-30-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, didn't take any important pictures. It is all pretty straight forward though.

The one thing I didn't like about the relay harness I purchased is that each 9006 male connector has a ground wire attached to it. Other harnesses I've seen have a single ground connector that comes out near the relay (see the above relay). It is essentially the two ground wires from the 9006 connectors routed together into one connector/connection for easy ground access.

The two grounds just make it harder to find ground points.

Regardless, I found one ground behind the passenger headlight and a second one right in front of the middle of the radiator in the space behind the lower grille.

There should be a large body color washer behind the bolt's head. It should be the same size bolt as the other ground and headlight bracket bolts. I think it's 10mm.

I mounted the ballasts (DDM Tuning slim) and their black boxes with the double sided foam tape they provided with the kit. One sits right in front of the ground point in front of the radiator while the other is mounted vertically below my first ground point behind the passenger headlight.

4500K bulbs and 35W ballasts (fogs only):

Last edited by GXP25; 10-31-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Added some more information.

Quick Reply: HID conversion question