LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

got an appointment for service neep suggestions for getting them to fix the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got an appointment for service neep suggestions for getting them to fix the tranny

hey guys ... so my oil level sensor in the oil pan has been dripping, and apparently has been for some time ... the last time i noticed oil coming from the bottom it was in our garage ( the montes an outside girl ) after i had been working on the car ...

well after having it inside this weekend doing the rims, i noticed another 2-3 spots on the ground ... and instead of taking it to chevy dealer first, i had my oil change guy check first to see where it was coming from, because i trust him and know him outside of his business ...

well i got an appointment at the chevy dealer for tmrw, because they were too busy today ... and while there making the appointment, the service rep asked me if there was anything they want me to check ...

and i said, yes, the tranny still acts up time to time ... for the same reasons i brought it in last time ... and it would be nice if you guys could even drop the pan or let me take you for a ride to illustrate what im taking about ...

and like many other people, i had the complete lack of movement and hard shifting thing happen once or twice ... only once since i took it in the first time, and not real bad ... but first to second at certain rpms takes too long and kicks pretty hard ... and sometimes third is delayed or seems like its hesitant ...

apparently this guy knew the problem and said hes worked on other SS's that have had the same problem ... but without total failure, they cannot really do anything besides try to replicate the issue and give up ... and like i told him, i know my warranty is up in around 2-3 months and im going to be really upset if it craps out a few months later and it has to come out my pocket ...

now, i know other people have had to pay, i wont say i deserve special treatment, but i would really like to be able to get it replaced under warranty to save myself the money, because money is tight ... real tight ... and with gas doing what its going to ... im going to need to get a second job just to pay the bills ...

so if there is some way to convince these guys to try, or just get them to try a little harder ... any conning i can do ... anything you people might know that would help me out ... any words would help ...

thanks, i know these seems relatively juvenile but im a pessimistic person, and just know its going to **** out on me right after the warranty is up, and would like to avoid it
Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Launching!

and i know the tranny thing is beaten to death around here ... even i have raised the issue on more than one occasion ...

so i apologize for having to raise it again ...
Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See if you can get them to pull the pan. Most likely, you do have TCC material in it, and that SHOULD be all that you would need to get them to pull it.

Perhaps you agree to pay for a trans fluid change so they'll pull the pan. If they find material, then it should all be under warranty. Otherwise, you could tell them to drive the car for a week (assuming you have backup transportation) to see if they observe the problems.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Launching!

say there is material, which i would assume there would be if there is something truly broken ... what would be an acceptable amount in a car that has never had a fluid change ( that i know of, but ive only put about 10-14K miles on it ) my brother had it before me and added 20-25K to the car ... so weve owned it from 25k miles up to its current 55K + ...

and the other thing, can i insist on being in the service area to see how much material is in the pan when they drop the trans ?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJesus616
say there is material, which i would assume there would be if there is something truly broken ... what would be an acceptable amount in a car that has never had a fluid change ( that i know of, but ive only put about 10-14K miles on it ) my brother had it before me and added 20-25K to the car ... so weve owned it from 25k miles up to its current 55K + ...

and the other thing, can i insist on being in the service area to see how much material is in the pan when they drop the trans ?
It's not so much the amount of material as it is the type. A few metal shavings are often found in our transmissions, but what you're looking for is chunks and bits of torque converter clutch. If there's any TCC material in your pan, then it's a big red light.

The dealer may tell you that their insurance won't allow you to be in the service area. I would insist upon it, not take no for an answer, and see what happens.