LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Oil Pressure Sensor and Thermostat. WTF is the problem?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Sensor and Thermostat. WTF is the problem?!

Alright guys, I had a CEL pop up on the trip up north last weekend. I had the car scanned and it had two codes. I cannot recall the exact code #'s but one was that the thermostat was not functioning properly. It appears to be stuck open as the car was running cold. Secondly, the other code was "Oil Pressure Sensor Performance".

With this being the case I replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor and Thermostat last night.

Two stipulations to the replacement however. 1. The OPS was very hard to find and the only people that had it could find it under the 06 Pontiac GTO and that it was compatible with the LS4. So I used that one. It was $89.

Secondly.....The thermostat appears to still be having an issue. We all know where the GXP rides on the temp gauge, which is exactly on the middle line half way up the gauge. However, mine is slightly under that line, about half way between the normal line and the next line down. I hooked the scanner up to the car and it is operating at roughly 190* Fahrenheit. The thermostat is rated at 186*. You would think the car would show the correct temp.

On the way home today, the CEL came back on with the same code for the OPS and the temp gauge is still incorrect. WTF else can I replace?

ANY AND ALL HELP WILL BE LOOKED INTO.

Also, what should the oil pressure be in the LS4 at idle?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Just cause it throws codes for those things doesnt mean they need to be replaced, start by getting the exact codes your car is throwing and searching on those, that will tell you what steps you need to take to diag the problem
Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rvd9431
Just cause it throws codes for those things doesnt mean they need to be replaced, start by getting the exact codes your car is throwing and searching on those, that will tell you what steps you need to take to diag the problem
I did scan the car and it came up with the code for "Oil Pressure Sensor Performance". Using that code I went to Mitchell On Demand and went though the steps it requested. The final step was to replace the sensor which I did. The light kicked on again on the way home.

However I did clear the code once I got home and it has yet to appear again. Hmmmm.....
Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Did u clear the code after fixing? If not give the car a few ignition cycles to see if it comes back on, when I say cycles I mean cold start, warm up to operating temp.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sensor and Thermostat. WTF is the problem?!