LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

More air to CAI 08 impala SS (Pictures/Setup)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Location: Origionally-Winnipeg Manitoba, Currently-Fort McMurray Alberta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More air to CAI 08 impala SS (Pictures/Setup)

So i've been looking at my CAI, and I really dont see how it gets much more "cold" air compared to the stock box... It seems really open and to be sucking a lot from the engine bay (where theres a ton of heat...)

I am interested in doing something similar to this "ram air setup" (https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...on-system.html) but without actually changing my filter location.

Has anyone put in any extra tubing into their CAI?

What I want to do, is to pipe a couple of 2 inch plastic flexible pipes down through to my fog lights that would allow the CAI to actually suck in cold air... now to do this my main worry would be introducing dust and debris into the CAI area...

I'm going to fiddle around with it but if anyone has tried it or has any suggestions on how to reduce dust/moisture from getting in it would be much appreciated.

thanks for reading!

Last edited by lunchbox_89; 07-31-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: change title, it is no longer a question
Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://gmls4.com/index.php?topic=645.0

If you have a spare laying around. I wanna see one on an SS.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheJPGXP

thats actually a neat concept... but i just got new black headlights.... I guess i could do it on my old ones but then the black ones would have been a big waste of money...

maybe i can do something similar with the fog lights... just behind the mesh.

I'm gonna have a good look around and see where a good spot to route it would be.. I dunno about ram air.. there seems to be too much risk with the gunk/moisture getting into the ECU/TCU/CAI area...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine are extras. The original had a hose that ran into a Spectre cone that had on "opening" in the front.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

just took a look at the CAI 'box' there's tons of room to route a hose in there and i could even see down into the fog light area, now my only problem is how to stop debris from going through the hose into the CAI box... maybe a secondary air filter? or some sort of moisture trap.. i'm not sure

any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine's just open to the elements. I've thought of putting a screen in, but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

I think i'm just gonna buy a cheap little cone air filter or something like that and throw it in there just to keep the crap out, we get snow here in the winter so i wouldn't want a bunch of that getting up into my electronics and engine

will see if i can get it done this week and take some pics, and actually try to see if it sucks in more air..
Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheJPGXP

Looks like pretty decent idea, did you get any tangible gains out of it? Seems like the hole would fall victim to a lot of turbulence and impact the amount of air actually going through.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stronger over 60, cooler IATs, cooler engine bay temps with both sides. Works as well as removing the headlight. Been thinking about making the holes bigger as well. I've had it for maybe 2 years, rotate it with my other 2 sets of headlight assemblies.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Hey lunchbox. I have been thinking of turning my headlights into an intake. But i need an extra headlight. You willing to part with the ones you have laying around?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

I dunno man.. I would have to give it a little thought.. for some reason I was planning on holding onto them, but I guess there's really no point lol.

Would say 50$ & shipping be too steep? (they don't have bulbs)
Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Launching!

For both of them? I am not worried about bulbs. I'm definitely interested. It's one of them things that I have been contemplating, its just finding the headlights for the right price, so I can tear them apart. LOL
Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

yeah i mean, they're no use to me... even if my new ones got damaged or something i would just buy another set of the black ones... so i figure why hang onto them

i'm not exactly sure how to do all that though.. maybe through ebay?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Launching!

No, if you have a paypal, I can just send the money straight to you. Thats the flat out easiest way to do it. All I need to know is how much shipping would cost. How much do the two headlights weight, and what size box would you put them in?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

The only problem with these designs is while it will draw cooler air, there is a LOT more piping and a LOT more turns. So all the gains you see from having colder air, you lose from the more piping. This was discussed in a bunch of threads a few years ago. If you want to get a better intake system...run a ls6 intake with ls6 throttle body and run a larger pipe to the filter.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

I've got the boxes that my black headlights came in, with all the packing foam and stuff still in them so I figured i would send them in those (2 boxes, would that be more expensive? I could try to find one box to put the boxes into, It came like that but i threw out the big box)

and they weigh.. 12.2 lbs (in the box)
Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen on another forum where they were using the stink stack boot for your home. They put it were the washer fluid tank is and run a pipe through it and put the filter in the fender. The boot sealing from the engine bay. I think I'm going to give this a try.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

got some 1.5 inch sump hose, 4 pvc 1.5-2 inch joiners, and some bug screen.

going to go get some fiberglass mix (if i can find it...) and make a funnel for each fog light dead space (behind the plastic mesh)

Will post pics when i get the set up done. (could be a couple days, gotta build a garage tomorrow)
Old 07-30-2011, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Alright, before you check this out i want everyong to know I am not a body work kinda guy, never worked on fabbing anything up so I just did what I thought would work. I've never worked with fiberglass or bondo..

Feel free to nit pick my method as I will be doing the other fog light in a couple weeks on my days off.

These are my supplies: Rubber gloves, fiberglass repair kit, rubberized asphalt undercoating paint, rubbing alcohol, sand paper, 1.5 inch sump hose, 4 ABS 2.5-1.5 inch joiners, few face cloths, bug screen, and 2 windshield washer jugs
also used: Bondo body filler, 5+ zipties, electrical & masking tape

Stared out by mocking up the funnel for the intake

Sorry I forgot to take pics of the fiberglass/ bondo process but it was fairly easy, if this were a visible part i would have taken a lot more time with that step but with fiberglass/drying/trimming//bondo/sand/bondo/prime/paint it took me about 5 hours and this was the result:

Had to remove headlight/engine bay support bar/ filter for CAI/ and mesh grille for fog light.

There are two port holes in front of the CAI, i chose to put my hoses through the right side one so i would have room on the left to do the left side foglight hoses

I fab'd up a bracket with fiberglass to mount the hoses through and to get a better seal

Had to drill 1 hole to mount the bracket as there was already an existing hole there

Test fit hoses Crazy glue & silicone the joiners on

Stretched bug screen over the front of the funnel so i dont put too much junk into the cai area, also had to mod the splash guard behind the fog light to allow enough room for the hoses to pass by

Zip tied the funnel to the modded splash guard and piped the hoses into their final resting place

Re attached healight and foglight, you could barely see that i did anything at all

This is where the hoses come in on the cai, I angled them away from the cai as i dont want water shooting right into my filter if it manages to get in there

And thats it, I tried to take some vids of the suction it produces but they didn't turn out very well due to the cai compartment not being completely sealed, but when parked into the wind you could feel the air blowing through the hoses, all in all I think it turned out good and now I will actually be getting a faux ram air and real cold air intake.

/WALL OF TEXT & PICTURES
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 AM
On The Tree

Great set up! You should quickly edit/delete how you did it and begin selling them as a finished product!

Last edited by heavyft; 07-31-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Quick Reply: More air to CAI 08 impala SS (Pictures/Setup)