LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Hogan 3" downpipe vs DT headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hogan 3" downpipe vs DT headers

I'm looking to open up the backend a bit, originally was going to go with the DP7S Hogan Downpipe (3" + highflow cat) + custom 3" to dual 2.5" exhaust. I've since had my eyes on some used DT headers instead of the downpipe, leading into the same exhaust as mentioned before. Are these headers that much better to justify the cost difference? I'm basically + 150 ish over the off the shelf cost of the downpipe to pick-up the headers just wondering what the power difference would be between choice A and B and if it's even worth it.

On the intake side I'm just k&n intake + tune. I'm going to be flowing a bit more here very soon...I have 1.85 roller rockers, LS6 yellow springs and some oil restricted pushrods coming my way shortly, not to mention the LS1 Intake sitting in my closet waiting for additional parts.

Another option would be try to have the standard exhaust manifolds ported but if the cost difference equal to the +150 and the gains are less than headers it makes no sense to go that route either.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

If your going to be installing a LS1 intake then go for the headers.
Even with my cam and LS6 intake, the headers didn't add much.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

I have noticed a difference in my car since my header and 3" exhaust install. Granted, I believe it also had to do with my tune as well, but it was noticeable. Now that I have taller gears, my car is a highway beast. It is a blast to drive now.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the catted Dp on 2-1/2" exhaust and it was better then stock,I got the headers and 2-1/2 exhaust and my car turned into an animal.I was on stock tune with both setups.I would say do the headers if your gonna keep modding

Quick Reply: Hogan 3" downpipe vs DT headers