LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Odd noises

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd noises

So I have a few concerns... The first one, whenever I start the car and go to drive off-whether forwards, backwards, left, or right, I hear and feel (in the steering wheel only) a "rubbing" sound... Kinda hard to describe, it sounds like a low moan/grating sound. Thing is, it makes the sound for one second (literally) and does not do it again the entire time I drive the car- but I shut it off, sit for five minutes, start it back up and drive off again, it makes the noise again as soon as I start moving. I thought maybe it could be something worn out in the rack-and-pinion system but I'm not sure since it does it even when I'm driving straight.

My second noise is fairly easy to describe but just as mysterious. When I turn the wheel to the far right while making a turn and moving, I can hear a *very* low slapping sound. If you've ever had oversize tires on your car you know what I'm talking about- a rubber on fiberglass sound !!!but!!! my rims and tires are STOCK. And as stated I have to turn to the far right to reproduce, just turning a little to the right doesn't make it happen. Please don't say CV joint or anything expensive What do you guys think?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Well the first noise is your abs/traction control system doing a system check on itself. Mine does the same thing each time I drive it, its totally normal, it will feel like a slight buzz in the wheel/drivetrain.

The second noise I am not sure about but sounds like a CV shaft or something similar.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ugh. Is there any way I can check to see if that's the problem? I checked both ends of both joints and I didn't see any tears in the boots.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

ur first noise could be the steering shaft base... mine does it while turning in the parking lot. I was told it needs to be re lubed at the base of the steering shaft. I live with mine cause he also told me its a pain to get at