LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Possible Purchase...06 GXP

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Purchase...06 GXP

Everyone this is my first post as member, long time lurker, but first time registering and actually posting. I am looking at a new(er) car as I am moving to California in May for 12-18 months for a career. I will then move a couple more times for 12-18 months each, at that time I will find out my permanent location.

I need some help on a possible purchase of an 06 GXP in silver. The car has 27000ish miles, and is in great condition for the year. Some notable options are a factory navigation, remote start, etc car. No noticeable dings, dents, scratches on the exterior. They are asking $14,400 for the car but being family friends we will see how much they want to deal on the car.

As fellow GXP owners, should I be worried about the terrible transmission problems per LS1tech members? Noting my location, I need a car that will be reliable and be a good commuting car.

Thanks

Cam
Old 01-02-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by race2c
Everyone this is my first post as member, long time lurker, but first time registering and actually posting. I am looking at a new(er) car as I am moving to California in May for 12-18 months for a career. I will then move a couple more times for 12-18 months each, at that time I will find out my permanent location.

I need some help on a possible purchase of an 06 GXP in silver. The car has 27000ish miles, and is in great condition for the year. Some notable options are a factory navigation, remote start, etc car. No noticeable dings, dents, scratches on the exterior. They are asking $14,400 for the car but being family friends we will see how much they want to deal on the car.

As fellow GXP owners, should I be worried about the terrible transmission problems per LS1tech members? Noting my location, I need a car that will be reliable and be a good commuting car.

Thanks

Cam
Miles are low, but I think that's a lot of money for an 06. If you look at the number of trans problems, the odds are greater than 50% that you will need a new or rebuilt trans by 70,000 miles. An extended warranty is always recommended with these cars, but even if they do give you a trans, it still has the same flaws.

If you buy an LS4 car, budget $2000-$3000 for an aftermarket trans rebuild. It's the only prudent consideration to make.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if i had to do alot of commuting i probably wouldnt own my ls4 car. but thats just me. mine is only drove for less than half of the year and in the summer i ride my bike to work since it is only 3 blocks away.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Mine had 56,000 on it and didn't have any issues when I got rid of it.