LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

08 Impala SS Torque Converter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Impala SS Torque Converter question

Hi guys. The other day after a day trip my Impala seemed to be hunting for a gear at low rpm under load. Until then, the thing was always flawless and I always wondered what people were doing to their cars to be having transmission troubles. Anyway, I called the dealer this am and they said bring it right over. After the tech drove it he guessed torque converter, which was my guess. They said it could be as much as a week to get one, but they gave me a car to drive.

Are there any specific questions or requests I should make to the dealership to avoid any future issues? Its a busy dealer so I am not concerned about workmanship, what concerns me is them not doing something that should be done because I don't mention it.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a bad torque converter clutch. I'm glad the dealer has told you to bring it in, as it could also damage the clutches in the trans.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was not a happy car on the way over. I kept it in lower gears to try to keep the converter from wanting to lock up. I wonder if anything would have been wrecked by driving it, but he said to bring it, even though its about 40 or so miles away. It seemed to shift fine under acceleration so the transmission is probably ok. When I got up to speed it sure didnt like it. There was no mention of any warranty issues or anything, they said its covered.

Quick Reply: 08 Impala SS Torque Converter question