LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

how sensitive is the computer to miss fires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how sensitive is the computer to miss fires?

very strange cars been running like crap for a few days, i could hear it missing at idle... didnt throw a code for a couple day, but finally did. seems odd, i though obd2 was super sensitive to miss fires.

what else is odd is i cleared the code and now it idles better? it was a missfire in cylinder 4 code.

in the 80-90k range so probably due for some plugs and wires.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a loose plug wire for a few days before it popped up with a code. And for some codes it will go into limp mode when the code is on. So that may be why it idles better.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

pulled the plug last night and it looked fine. didnt really show any signs of not firing.

i'll just swap the plug and wires out and see if that resolves it.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got 3 and 4 mixed up when i checked the plugs, 4 was actually pretty bad... very white and lots of buildup on it.

also noticed almost all my plugs were oily on the threads. seemed rather odd, is that from oil getting into the combustion chamber?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

I had the same issue in my 07 MCSS. I would get a service traction warning though and some other crazy nonsense. I could feel it misfire at idle and sometimes hear it, had it checked out at the dealer, just as baffled. I pulled the plugs and had the build up, replaced the plugs and wires problem solved. I would say do the valve cover gaskets and get the grommets as well. RockAuto has them both from FelPro just have to order separately, easy to do since you are there already. As for the oil on the threads valve cover gaskets maybe, someone could chime in on that with a better answer as mine has a noticeable leak; however, If it was in the chamber it would also burn onto the plug electrodes and leave a noticeable residue.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

i already got it all swapped out, it is running better though.

i didnt see or feel any oil leaks, and the plug wires were clean so i dont think the valve covers are leaking.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

as far as the computer being sensitive to misfires- It depends on the misfire tables.

Quick Reply: how sensitive is the computer to miss fires?