LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Pressure Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure Control Valve

So my car has done a couple of rev and clunks lately and I brought it to the dealership just to see what was wrong. I let them examine the car but I don't plan on letting them do the work because it would obviously be way more expensive then having a shop do it. As it turns out, my warranty died on March 24th and I am under mileage. Trying to work with GM to see if they can still help out at all but in the mean time, they are telling me the problem does not reside with the transmission, but the PCV. They said there was nothing in the transmissions pan as far as metal shavings and the fluid looked good(I changed it about 20k miles ago). So, being not as technically savvy as others in here, can someone explain what the pressure control valve is in our cars and why this would be the problem? Maybe give me suggestions as to how to go about fixing it if GM can't help? I was half hoping this would have been a transmission problem so I could rebuild it as a TEP transmission but it seems like that isn't going to happen too soon(even though it will probably blow as soon as this problem is fixed, I am at 72k miles)
Any help is appreciated guys.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory1750
So my car has done a couple of rev and clunks lately and I brought it to the dealership just to see what was wrong. I let them examine the car but I don't plan on letting them do the work because it would obviously be way more expensive then having a shop do it. As it turns out, my warranty died on March 24th and I am under mileage. Trying to work with GM to see if they can still help out at all but in the mean time, they are telling me the problem does not reside with the transmission, but the PCV. They said there was nothing in the transmissions pan as far as metal shavings and the fluid looked good(I changed it about 20k miles ago). So, being not as technically savvy as others in here, can someone explain what the pressure control valve is in our cars and why this would be the problem? Maybe give me suggestions as to how to go about fixing it if GM can't help? I was half hoping this would have been a transmission problem so I could rebuild it as a TEP transmission but it seems like that isn't going to happen too soon(even though it will probably blow as soon as this problem is fixed, I am at 72k miles)
Any help is appreciated guys.
http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com...ward-Cold.html
http://www.grandprixforums.net/07-gx...-14-71894.html
Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In a nutshell, rev-and-clunk is bad seals.

The factory converter relief valve is what causes the torque converter clutch to destroy itself because it bleeds off at too high of a pressure.

We have this all documented over at GMLS4.com, but the link provided to TEP is just as good, as it was Dave who gave me all the information anyway.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, so obviously the problem is with the transmission. If Chevy doesn't want to help me out with the price being as how my warranty just went out and I am still under mileage for it, a TEP transmission is the way I have been wanting to go. So what should be bought from him? I was looking at the Stage 1 kit from him but I'm not sure that would fix the problem. I emailed Dave a few days ago but he never replied. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory1750
Alright, so obviously the problem is with the transmission. If Chevy doesn't want to help me out with the price being as how my warranty just went out and I am still under mileage for it, a TEP transmission is the way I have been wanting to go. So what should be bought from him? I was looking at the Stage 1 kit from him but I'm not sure that would fix the problem. I emailed Dave a few days ago but he never replied. Thanks a lot guys.
Dave's an extremely busy guy. He does all the work himself and doesn't pay some lackey to build stuff for him. I would try giving him a call during business hours, and if he doesn't pick up, keep trying.

And he would be the best person to talk to about what you need.

Quick Reply: Pressure Control Valve