LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Replacing torque converter in 06' Monte

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing torque converter in 06' Monte

Hey everyone, so I have an 06' Monte Carlo SS and within the last couple days I have noticed my RPM's fluctuating when I get up to speed and get down to about 10% throttle. I have been asking some of the 7th gen guys on a couple other forums if there car does this and no one has run into this issue. So I think my torque converter may be locking and unlocking. Does anyone know if there is just a quick fix kind of thing, other then putting new trans fluid in since I had that done about 8 months ago, so I don't see that being the issue. Or do I need to replace the Torque converter? If I need to replace the torque converter how hard is something like that on a FWD car? I rebuilt the trans in my old 96' thunderbird which was a pain but not anything to bad. With our cars do we need to pull the engine to get the trans out or can it drop out just like a RWD? Also what is everyone's thoughts on here? I know there are transmissions out there for about $1800 that handle a lot more power then our stock transmissions. I have been thinking that if I ever had to do any transmission work then I was just going to go big and get one of these transmissions so I don't really ever need to worry about the trans while I have the car. Do you guys recommend something like that or just swapping out the torque converter and being done with it? My car only has 60K miles so I can't see the trans being bad, the car shifts fine and everything, I just get that strange RPM fluctuation. Thanks for any help guys.

Quick Reply: Replacing torque converter in 06' Monte