LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 - possible to replace timing chain damper on vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 - possible to replace timing chain damper on vehicle?

Hi. I have the damned DoD timing chain noise going on with my '07 GXP (somebody said its like a hobo on a stolen 10 speed is hanging on to your car and his chain is jumping between gears - stops exactly at 15MPH as you slow down). GM dealer wants two arms and a leg to fix this as (they say) the power train needs to be dropped out of the car. I look in the manual at the special GM tools supposedly needed to "properly" install the timing chain cover and see how if those were really necessary getting them between the frame rails and the face of the engine would be impossible (this or somehow getting your head in there to properly see the alignment). There is also the matter of getting the vibration damper off. Has anybody done a DIY timing chain R&R with the LS4 still in the vehicle? Doable with special damper puller? Side stepped the cover alignment with scribe marks? Thanks for any feedback. I want to lose the hobo...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Search cam swap threads. I'm pretty sure you have to drop the cradle slightly.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Teching In

I had that same problem with my GXP and it turned out that the timing chain dampener was completely broken on one side and was at the bottom of my oil pan. I don't know if anyone else had this same problem with theirs. I was a GM Technician at the time of the repair and my car was under warranty but I was completely shocked as to how it would just snap and break and am glad that the little piece of dampener didn't cause any damage to my engine on its way down. I have seen this problem on one other GXP car while I was a technician just letting you know, if you get the cover off and the piece is broken off it's more than likely at the bottom of your oil pan.

Quick Reply: LS4 - possible to replace timing chain damper on vehicle?