LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

trans filter problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans filter problems

I've had an 07 impala come to me several times in the past few years due to a slipping trans, works OK when cold but as it heats up it begins to whine and all gears are lost.

Each time when I drop the pan I notice that he filter is loose. Obvious conclusion would be a leak around the filter seal, trans sucking air which would cause the noise and lack of movement. Change filter and fluid, car drives again.

My problem is it always happens again. 20-30k miles later. I've tried methods of holding the filter in place but have been unsuccessful. After numerous brands of filters and another transmission, I'm at a loss for ideas. Anyone seen this?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tap the seal first till its flush then tap the filter with a rubber mallet its as high up in the casing as it can go.

If its clogging that fast might wanna install a remote trans filter for extra peace of mind
Old 07-22-2014, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think its clogging. When I pull the pan the filter is very loose, often hanging down. Which is very different from when it is first installed. When I put it in its very snug. But after so many miles its just loose in the seal. Definite difference between the old seal and new seal.

Quick Reply: trans filter problems