LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Misfire on Cylinder 4

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im getting a leak down test done. the mechanic trying to charge 2k says he did one and everything was fine. the mechanic helping me today highly doubted that was done. spawne32 do you suggest running the injector cleaner through the rail? also do these come with a connector to hook up with the rail since the connector any suggestions thoughts anything i will be hitting a auto shop tommorow to test theories and everything to try to eliminate as much as possible.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
The stuff you dump in the tank isnt going to cut it, they do sell injector cleaning kits but they are expensive, you can do a makeshift one with homedepot parts.

DIY Fuel Injector Cleaning & Repair - YouTube
That is similar to what I used, the dealer type kit was about 400 bucks.

Edit: I never pulled the injectors to do it. Pulled the fuse for the fuel pump and the car ran right off the injector cleaner. It was along time ago, I dont remember the brand of cleaner but it was commercial stuff for sure. The line I used I believe was from a fuel pressure gauge, cant be sure now.

Last edited by rottonj; 12-13-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeh i have heard of some kits that hook up right to the fuel rail, i just gotta locate one, my buddy has a couple cans of the 3m stuff that does that but you need an adapter.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looker just like an a/c charge line , only it had a schrader line fitting on the end. I will see if I still have it, probably not as I have not seen it in years.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is what I used probably, but those tuned port cars had much lower fuel pressure than ours. This may or may not work, sorry if its a wild goose chase .

Amazon.com: 3M Multi-Port Fuel Injector Cleaner - Aerosol (40 psi): Automotive Amazon.com: 3M Multi-Port Fuel Injector Cleaner - Aerosol (40 psi): Automotive
Old 12-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Teching In

spawn a adapter or wtv i need to fix my ride and not break me nor my car would be great if you can lead me in the right direction. to many guesses and hundreds spent as mechanics to charge me for what they think. Does anyone think that it could be a lifter? its just idling really rough but i get good throttle response which really confusing me. i figured a collapsed lifter would cause alot of other codes as well as the misfire.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Teching In

also i read and heard from a buddy that if i run the seafoam through my oil gas and vacuum from booster, as well as seeing videos this could unstick a lifter has nayone every done or seen this actually work
Old 12-13-2015, 08:11 PM
Teching In

dont be sorry rottenj any help is help anyone with a suggestion trick something to try is better than were i stand right now with my baby running like crap and hating every minuete of it
Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by x1mafia
also i read and heard from a buddy that if i run the seafoam through my oil gas and vacuum from booster, as well as seeing videos this could unstick a lifter has nayone every done or seen this actually work
I have, worked well on my wife's mini van and mothers Impala but didn't notice anything on the GXP. Both thru the brake booster hose.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by x1mafia
spawn a adapter or wtv i need to fix my ride and not break me nor my car would be great if you can lead me in the right direction. to many guesses and hundreds spent as mechanics to charge me for what they think. Does anyone think that it could be a lifter? its just idling really rough but i get good throttle response which really confusing me. i figured a collapsed lifter would cause alot of other codes as well as the misfire.
Collapsed lifter I would think would be really noisy and would show up in a compression test, as compression tests generally test the dynamic compression of an engine. There would be a large variation on that cylinder. Like i said, you can either try cleaning out the injectors either by sending them out, or coming up with your own home grown method. Or you can try replacing whichever one seems to be faulty, they are roughly 30 dollars a piece on rockauto. This really is a process of elimination kinda thing here. The misfire code should move with whatever is causing it, so if you move a coil to another cylinder, the misfire should appear on that cylinder, and vice versa with injectors. Availability of tools is really going to help you diagnose this further. I can't do much other then speculate based on what info you have given.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Any other symptoms? Car running like crap, loud, or even quiet (exhaust, cat)
Old 12-14-2015, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

got to be asensor going bad,tps,map?,maf?,he added all new stuff and didnt change so thats where im heading
Old 12-14-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just swap the injector and see if the misfire follows it... if the misfire does follow it then take that injector out and rig up something to blow injector cleaner thru it and energizing the injectror off and on
Old 12-14-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Why not just swap the injector and see if the misfire follows it... if the misfire does follow it then take that injector out and rig up something to blow injector cleaner thru it and energizing the injectror off and on
He said he already moved the injector and it turned in to a P0300.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a complete set of injecters 50 shipped there yours
Old 01-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Default update

leak down test fine on all injectors except one swapped the injector and still same code on cylinder 4.
ran the seafoam as instructed and no change.
read somewhere on threads to try to pull o2 sensor and see if the cat was clogged or bad so i did and got a p0030 HO2's heater control circuit bank 1 sensor 1 which i figured i would get and a random misfire code again.
any other ideas?
talked to GM and they say this isn't a known issue.....always not the manufacturer issue. Probably going to be the last gm I purchase even though I loved GM before this car. Love the ride hate fixing it every payment being the same as fixing the car. At this point replaced everything but the lifters, and the manifold gasket for exhaust.
anyone think this could be caused by exhaust leak? or any other ideas tired of running around trying to figure this one out.

oh and i also checked harness for wear on the wires or chewing or anything nothing is exposed nor cracked cut anything. cant seem to pinpoint this at this point and time.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
I have a complete set of injecters 50 shipped there yours
wish those were lifters id buy just to try them.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian
Any other symptoms? Car running like crap, loud, or even quiet (exhaust, cat)
car runs like crap chuggs on idle doesnt have the power it should also has ticking sound coming from engine. very very foul smell also from exhaust
Old 01-05-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

what were the results of the leakdown test?
Old 01-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spawne32
what were the results of the leakdown test?
leak down had one injector that was slow so replaced with new. still had the cylinder 4 misfire after running the leak down

Quick Reply: Misfire on Cylinder 4