LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Thinking out loud

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking out loud

121k on my 06 GXP and she gone. Has been rev-clunking for a while and finally bit the dust. I'm not in a position to mess with getting a TEP (time, shipping both ways, extra $700 for core charge, etc). I priced one at my GM dealership for about $2200 + tax and it comes with a 3yr/36k warranty. From what I've read, even ordering the TEP rebuild kit and having someone local rebuild it can still lead to headaches if they don't have experience with these transmissions.

I owe about $4,000 on the car and I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around spending ~$3,000 on a car that I owe $4,000 on. I love the car, but with 121k on it where do you draw the line?

I have a backup vehicle that I'm selling to fund part of this to not make it hurt the bank account too bad. Part of me says do the GM replacement and get a trans tune and cooler and let it be their baby if it goes out again. The other part of me says sell the backup car and use the money from that and the trans money to pay the GXP off then use the rest of the money for a down payment on something else and let it sit until I can fix it, because it's worth virtually nothing right now. I'm just at a loss.

Is the transmission the only weak link in these cars? If I replace that and do the necessaries should everything else be fine? If I'm just patching one thing to let another go wrong I'm probably going to try and get out from underneath it. I'm just wanting inside the minds of someone of the people that have been presented with the same issue myself and many others have delt/are dealing with.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you will be doing the swap yourself go on Rockauto, put in your model and then year. go into transmission , they use a company called Transmission Authority, Last I checked it was about 1350 plus a 600 core with 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I did a lot of research as eventually I will need one. Good luck, post back what route you went.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you spend the 1350 on a rebuilt trans and put it in yourself, get rid of the car afterwards. Anything short of a custom built trans to upgrade all the internal parts, adding clutches, improving line pressure etc and you will have the same problem on your hands a few years down the road. Frankly after the problems I have been having with mine, ive been considering dumping it as well, just not in a position to afford a lease on a new car yet.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

He got 10 years on the factory tranny, whats to say he cant get another 10 from the rebuilt? Contrary to popular belief TEP is not the only company who can rebuild these transmissions. The op didn't say how he uses the car, but he may not need a custom build. And most any reputable trans mission shop knows of the shortcomings of these transmissions as well as upgrades. I wouldnt just dmp the car beause you couldnt swing for a TEP transmission, thats way past dramatic.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I never said anything about a TEP trans being the only solution, only that dont expect a 1300 dollar rebuild to last you long. The problem isnt necessarily how you drive, its the fact that these transmissions are just not built strong enough to handle whats behind them. But the only way to avoid replacing that trans another 10 years down the road is to build it to last, which isnt going to be with a 1300 dollar rebuild.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it right the first time.... TEP in my opinion. Many people here dealing with local shops, bla bla. If your going to get one from gm,i would not let anyone crack it open other them tep.just put the damn thing in stock. If you don't rag on it and dont plan on doing anything else power wise, im sure you'll get another 100k out of it
Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or at the very least, buy the parts kit from TEP and have your local trusted shop do the repair. That's what I did, I bought the stage 1 kit along with a few extra's and had my local transmission performance shop put it together.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

The parts kit from TEP, with the exception of the valve body that's modified will be the same parts kits used by most transmission shops. Nothing special there.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
The parts kit from TEP, with the exception of the valve body that's modified will be the same parts kits used by most transmission shops. Nothing special there.
I disagree, transmission shops are going to rebuild to factory specifications, they are not going to put shift kits, line pressure booster valves and extra clutches in on a factory rebuild. They wont replace electronic components if they test good, and they wont replace anything that doesnt show significant signs of wear. I spent almost $3000 dollars on my transmission for just what would be considered a stage 1.5 build.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didnt aamco offer a lifetime warranty with their rebuilds at one time?? Also, I had a 100k warranty on my GM rebuild (of which it outlasted) and I think they offer lifetime if you get their regular service??. Just more options to consider
Old 06-01-2016, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spawne32
I disagree, transmission shops are going to rebuild to factory specifications, they are not going to put shift kits, line pressure booster valves and extra clutches in on a factory rebuild. They wont replace electronic components if they test good, and they wont replace anything that doesnt show significant signs of wear. I spent almost $3000 dollars on my transmission for just what would be considered a stage 1.5 build.

Ive never had a good experience from any local shop. I told onr about my 1st gear dropping at idle, and they recommended a transmission flush. Its bullshit when i know more then these tards
Old 06-01-2016, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Ive never had a good experience from any local shop. I told onr about my 1st gear dropping at idle, and they recommended a transmission flush. Its bullshit when i know more then these tards
Well I grant that there are very few local shops out there id actually trust, but the trans shop I use specifically specializes in race ready transmissions, when I talked with them about the 4t65e, they knew everything I was asking them about and more. I recommend them for work all the time in my area and myself and many friends have been very happy with their builds. It's hard to find a mechanic that is trust worthy these days.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I disagree with that. Dont know where you are hearing that. I went to 3 local transmission shops and all used the Sonnax kits as well as shift kits from either Transgo or Superior. Believe me they don't want to repeat the job on their dime by using crap parts, and most likely are not using GM specs to a T when there have been plenty of modifications to these transmissions for improvements. Some things you are asking for like extra clutches are great for a drag racer, but totally unnecessary for most anyone else. Sure it would help, but not really needed.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

The number most used when lying is the number 3, google it.... just saying hehe
Old 06-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Well. This escalated quickly

If you will be doing the swap yourself go on Rockauto, put in your model and then year. go into transmission , they use a company called Transmission Authority, Last I checked it was about 1350 plus a 600 core with 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I did a lot of research as eventually I will need one. Good luck, post back what route you went.
I'm glad I posted here. I never thought to check Rock Auto. I just got off the phone with their warranty dept, to make sure that if it goes out again that they'll pay the labor charges if it needs to be replaced. I think that's the route I'm going to go. Put that in and drive it for 3 years, then GTFO before the **** hits the fan again lol
If you spend the 1350 on a rebuilt trans and put it in yourself, get rid of the car afterwards.
If the $1350 trans comes with a 3 year warranty, why not drive it?
He got 10 years on the factory tranny, whats to say he cant get another 10 from the rebuilt? Contrary to popular belief TEP is not the only company who can rebuild these transmissions. The op didn't say how he uses the car, but he may not need a custom build. And most any reputable trans mission shop knows of the shortcomings of these transmissions as well as upgrades. I wouldnt just dmp the car beause you couldnt swing for a TEP transmission, thats way past dramatic.
I haven't had the car since it was new. Only had it about a year and a half. I am 100% convinced this is not the first transmission change/rebuild this car has ever had though. It leaks fluid all over the freakin place. I'm assuming that's partially because someone did a **** job putting it back together. I don't drive the car harder than anything else I have ever driven. Sure it's a "sports car" (loose term there, it's a family sedan with a v8 lol) and I drove it aggressively at times, but I've seen some people just absolutely drive the wheels off of these cars. I needed it to last, so I didn't want to go off and beat on it a whole lot. I honestly don't think it's seen over 90 mph since I've owned it.
Originally Posted by Sint3k
If you don't rag on it and dont plan on doing anything else power wise, im sure you'll get another 100k out of it
I have on plans of adding power to the car. It's got a K&N CAI and some knock off Magnaflows that I'm debating taking off while the car is off the road. If I could find someone with a stock car that wanted to swap an air box and mufflers, I'd be a happy camper lol.
Or at the very least, buy the parts kit from TEP and have your local trusted shop do the repair. That's what I did, I bought the stage 1 kit along with a few extra's and had my local transmission performance shop put it together.
The issue is finding a reputable shop in the area to do the rebuild. There is literally nobody around here I trust or I would have gone that route. There's some guys around here with some pretty bad *** cars and nobody has had any work done here and been happy with it.
Originally Posted by impala06ss
didnt aamco offer a lifetime warranty with their rebuilds at one time?? Also, I had a 100k warranty on my GM rebuild (of which it outlasted) and I think they offer lifetime if you get their regular service??. Just more options to consider
Lifetime warranty... hmm....
Old 06-02-2016, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you go the Rockauto route for that price i would keep the core too, just my 2 cents as the GXP transmission is harder to locate. Make sure its the GXP also, be a pain 2 get one without tapshift.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

In that case i would recommend getting a comp-g trans with 3.29 gears built in and tapshift.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

If you go the Rockauto route for that price i would keep the core too, just my 2 cents as the GXP transmission is harder to locate. Make sure its the GXP also, be a pain 2 get one without tapshift.
I guess I should call and check on that. Never thought of that, I just figured since it was listed they made sure it was a TapShift model. I thought about posting the car on CL for the weekend for like $3,000 and seeing if someone would want to take on the project to get me out of this headache lmao
In that case i would recommend getting a comp-g trans with 3.29 gears built in and tapshift.
Won't bolt to the LS4 will it?
Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSX Freak
I guess I should call and check on that. Never thought of that, I just figured since it was listed they made sure it was a TapShift model. I thought about posting the car on CL for the weekend for like $3,000 and seeing if someone would want to take on the project to get me out of this headache lmao

Won't bolt to the LS4 will it?
Sure will, the LS4 bolt pattern is designed to fit on any of the FWD transmissions. Only thing you would need is a tune file to tell the car that the gear ratio had been bumped up from 2.93 to 3.29. All depends on where you want your shifts to be, im not a big fan of shifting out of first at 90mph so I went with the 3.29's but in hindsight would have put 3.69's in had I known how long the gears really were. The gear sets can be purchased independently with the 7/8" drive chain upgrade, or the comp-g came factory equipped with 3.29's, and its the only tapshift 4t65e to have those.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

I guess I didn't realize that. I thought it had to be from an LS4 car to work in an LS4 car. That changes things a bit. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Quick Reply: Thinking out loud