LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Think my PS pump is pooched

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think my PS pump is pooched

A week or so ago I noticed my car making a super charger whining noise from stops that would rise in pitch and volume with the rpm's and then would drop once the car shifted. At first I thought it'd be the stupid trans but as I did some digging the internet pointed to the PS pump....I checked the fluid and sure enough it was at the bottom of the ADD zone. Well I added fluid to the proper level and drove it for a while but am still getting the whine. It won't whine when turning the steering wheel and the steering is not any harder so i'm not sure what's going on now. Is there anything else I can check just to eliminate it being the trans or the alternator or something?
Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the pulleys, a bad bearing could cause some noise although its usually more of a squeak than a whine.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my A/C compressor occasionally whines like a P/S pump. Also, my water pump whined bad and the only way that I could identify the offender was by removing the belt and turning the pump by hand. So there is 2 things you can check.

Quick Reply: Think my PS pump is pooched