LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Shift kit install, very detailed (56K go watch a movie)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Same Game, But New Name

What's up People? It's been over a year since anyone post a new comment to this old thread. I'll be picking up a '06 GXP from NY on June 10th of '08 need to know if anymore tranny tricks been done lately to the old tried and true beast.

Is there anything I should be aware of? Did intense Racing get better with their products or is ZZ Performance still the way to go. Can anyone of you tell me something? I'm a throwback from the mid '70's and '80's tryin' to run with you boys of today.

I have a '68 Poncho Firebird and a '86 Trans Am that will be turning in low 11 sec's time slip by next summer. You can believe that! But, for the moment I'm at your mercy to try and make this "Soon-To-Arrive" GXP be pretty respectable in this part of town. Filthydelphia,... 2007 murder capital of the world. Can anyone help a brother out?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:35 AM
Teching In

Great write up, thanks, helped alot during the install, and now my car is running great!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Thrasher Shift Kit FTMFW!!!!

The Thrasher Shift Kit has a great reputation and gives you options on your cars shifting. Its the best.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

im hearing the transgo is the best from tep.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
and from everything I've read, it's recommended to do one or the other - tune the tranny shifting/pressures OR do a shift kit - but NOT both....

Why not?

I was just reading through this thread and saw this and wondered why?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Why not?

I was just reading through this thread and saw this and wondered why?

Increasing line pressure and monkeying with the springs/washers to get firmer shifts together can bang them pretty hard and can lead to damaged hard parts in the tranny.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06 SS
Increasing line pressure and monkeying with the springs/washers to get firmer shifts together can bang them pretty hard and can lead to damaged hard parts in the tranny.
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the knowledge!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks! Ok I am looking at all the parts I received in the transgo box and was wondering if I have to install them all or just the ones shown in the install pics? Other parts include New INT & REV boost valve and new primary boost valve andEPC solenoid part and new reverse long lip seal. Also I says nothing about scuffung the bores so is do you need to scuff the bores? Thanks

Last edited by 06silverss; 05-28-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

great write up
Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

put my trans go in over the weekend. glad i did my pan was a mess, had grey ish crap all over it.
anyway it sure did help out though, got rid of the lazy shifts and just makes the car feel more responsive.
the transgo directions sucked also, and it came with other parts i guess if you were doing a full rebuilt.

i did have a question whats the single accumulator looking thing with the two tubes hook to?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does anyone know the torque specs on all the bolts you have to take out?

edit: did a little research and found 120 inch pounds. correct me if i am wrong

Last edited by xxtheshockerxx; 08-24-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Teching In

I am a transmission rebuilder and i have never my self used the intense sk, but the springs look identical to the springs supplied in the transgo sk just with extra spacers and the one washer. The Thrasher SK was co engineered with transgo.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Teching In

does anyone know which shift kit i should get for an 06 Impala SS
Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 AM

Default Transgo shift kit

Originally Posted by 06silverss
Thanks! Ok I am looking at all the parts I received in the transgo box and was wondering if I have to install them all or just the ones shown in the install pics? Other parts include New INT & REV boost valve and new primary boost valve andEPC solenoid part and new reverse long lip seal. Also I says nothing about scuffung the bores so is do you need to scuff the bores? Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Hey I know its an old thread, but I just recently put this on, and I managed to snap one of the bolt heads off of one of the bolts on the pan. There is no leaking on it and I saved the bolt, does anybody think it would be a good idea to put sealant on the bolt head and put it back on there, or just put sealant where the stud of the bolt is? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Barnett92
Hey I know its an old thread, but I just recently put this on, and I managed to snap one of the bolt heads off of one of the bolts on the pan. There is no leaking on it and I saved the bolt, does anybody think it would be a good idea to put sealant on the bolt head and put it back on there, or just put sealant where the stud of the bolt is? Any help would be appreciated!
a mechanic should be able to get the bolt out. that is the route i would go.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

I will have a mechanic look at it eventually, it doesn't seem to leak out any. I bought some sealant to go over where the head usually goes in case it does, if it doesn't leak any I just wont mess with it, I don't want something to go wrong and then lose a tranny!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am getting a shift kit installed on my car but i think i am missing a spacer according to the OP's pictures....here is what i got

am i missing a silver spacer?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Idk? I just looked at mine and it has 7 springs, & what looks like the same 3 spacers you have pictured.

Last edited by Brian396; 06-04-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Counting is hard
Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the thread, this along with a few others helped. I have/had an 02 Impala with this problem.

Today I installed a TransGo shift kit from TEP, scuffed the accumulators, new (US made) filter, and refilled it will Allison approved TES-295 fluid.

The battery was disconnected for about 5 hours which will have reset the PCM - the last time the PCM was reset a few months ago the shifts were quite soft for a couple of days, then they firmed up back to how it was before the reset.

After installing the kit and the PCM reset, the shifting is again soft, but the shifting feels much more direct and positive - I cant wait for the PCM to finish its relearn phase (or what ever it does) and firm things up again.

Refilling the transmission I used exactly 8 quarts, and its about half way between the high and low marks on the dipstick. I actually measured the fluid that came out, and it was just shy of 8 quarts.

Quick Reply: Shift kit install, very detailed (56K go watch a movie)