Car opinions, sort of off topic - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > LS4 Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super


Car opinions, sort of off topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 716
Default Car opinions, sort of off topic

Hi Everyone. . .So we all know my daily driver is an 07 Impala SS. Anywho. . .I am looking to buy a toy and found a Z28 that has caught my eye. What I know:

6spd
T-Tops
350
116K miles
Mild oil drip (not sure from where, owner didn't say).

I am hoping to go look at the car this weekend. Anything to look for/watch out for??

How hard is to pull/rebuild one of these engines?

Any comments anyone has would be awesome!!

Thanks

Eddie
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: K.C.
Posts: 1,731
Send a message via AIM to Area47
Default

what year?
__________________
1993 Ford Ranger | 2.3 turbo | HX35w
2012 camry se v6. | 13 second family wagon
Area47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
TECH Regular
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 447
Default

Mileage is a little high, doesn't necessarily mean it's not a solid car though. Make sure t-tops don't leak. Get some more info on the car and run a carfax also if you are serious about it. And nothing against LT-1s but personally I wouldn't buy a 93-97 Z because the LS1 4th gens look and perform better IMO.
__________________
'06 Impala SS: HP tuned, shift kit, K&N FIPK, Eibachs, STBs, KYB AGXs, HIDs, M/M flip, Borlas
'02 WS6 M6: SOLD
SSWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LITH, IL.
Posts: 1,029
Default

The LT1 (assuming-because it is the only 350 with a 6-speed) will run friggin' forever. 116K is nothing on the engine (mine went 237K before a clogged converter damaged the engine on one side (true duals). Tranny might need a clutch soon, but they are near bullet-proof as well. I can almost guarantee that the oil leak is from the rear of the intake, they all leak from there. The fix takes some time, but it is cheap and you can do it in your garage. It is not a real problem, just annoying. The non-vented Optispark's had some trouble, if it is not a 95 or newer you may have to address that. My vented one went 205K without a lick of trouble (or maintainence!), I swapped it out simply because I was changing out the plug wires and I was already in there. It actually went on a guys motor swap into something or other, last I heard it was still running fine. Don't spend too much, my buddy picked up a 96 ragtop (automatic though) year before last with 55K on the clock for $6400. There is almost zero demand for these cars, total buyers market. I am not that familiar with the LSx engines, but I would doubt they are as robust as the LT1's.
__________________
-Douglas
"Fear is a feeling, not a barrier." -me, 1998.
2006 Impy SS, LS4 transportation appliance 100K (Ultra-flo's, spacer, CQL rockers, DRB, etc).
1996 Fleetwood Brougham LT1 101K.
1995 Caprice 9c1 LT1, 238K (in more than one piece and being parted out)
1985 Honda VF1100S, for those days when you just have to crank off an 11 second quarter-mile. 22K
06 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
what year?
Sorry, 1995
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 SS View Post
The LT1 (assuming-because it is the only 350 with a 6-speed) will run friggin' forever. 116K is nothing on the engine (mine went 237K before a clogged converter damaged the engine on one side (true duals). Tranny might need a clutch soon, but they are near bullet-proof as well. I can almost guarantee that the oil leak is from the rear of the intake, they all leak from there. The fix takes some time, but it is cheap and you can do it in your garage. It is not a real problem, just annoying. The non-vented Optispark's had some trouble, if it is not a 95 or newer you may have to address that. My vented one went 205K without a lick of trouble (or maintainence!), I swapped it out simply because I was changing out the plug wires and I was already in there. It actually went on a guys motor swap into something or other, last I heard it was still running fine. Don't spend too much, my buddy picked up a 96 ragtop (automatic though) year before last with 55K on the clock for $6400. There is almost zero demand for these cars, total buyers market. I am not that familiar with the LSx engines, but I would doubt they are as robust as the LT1's.

Good to know. He was asking 5K OBO. . which is definately high. I was thinking of offering him 3K maybe let him "work me up" to $3500.
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LITH, IL.
Posts: 1,029
Default

If he bites on $3500 for a 6-speed LT1, and if the body is in decent shape, I would jump all over it. Even if it needs a new Optispark and vent harness and a clutch, it would be a great transportation value. Insurance might eat up some extra cash over that, but I don't think you can go wrong
__________________
-Douglas
"Fear is a feeling, not a barrier." -me, 1998.
2006 Impy SS, LS4 transportation appliance 100K (Ultra-flo's, spacer, CQL rockers, DRB, etc).
1996 Fleetwood Brougham LT1 101K.
1995 Caprice 9c1 LT1, 238K (in more than one piece and being parted out)
1985 Honda VF1100S, for those days when you just have to crank off an 11 second quarter-mile. 22K
06 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 716
Default

I guess we will see what it looks like
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 716
Default

Looked at it tonight
1) needs some serious paint cleanup/ding repair (nothing serious). There are scratches all over. I would probably just paint it over.

2) The owner said that the T-Tops drip a little bit. . is that an easy fix?

3) Amazingly for being in snow country it doesn't really have much rust anywhere.

Thoughts on what I should offer?
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
Launching!
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 253
Default

I say stick to around $3k. If the car runs/drives decent, that would be a good price to pick it up for. The T- Tops probably need new weatherstripping, and maybe some of the scratches can buff out. If not, like you said, repaint the car. Let us know how you make out.
__________________
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
K&N FIPK, 52mm TB, M1 Intake manifold, 3" catback exhaust with Flowmaster 50 and Carsound cat, Mopar Performance ECU, 2600 stall, ML Headers.

2006 Impala SS- K&N Aircharger, Dynomax Ultra Flo's, flipped motor mount.
98Jeep360Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #11
TECH Apprentice
 
deft's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 382
Default

any good news?
__________________
2012 corvette
deft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #12
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 716
Default

Unfortunately no, i went yesterday to look at it again. . . .he wouldn't budge off the 4000+ range. .. just not worth it. The search continues!
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
Launching!
 
Mike's 01WS6's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: St. Peters Missouri
Posts: 250
Default

According to kelly it would be worth the mid to upper 3k range as it sits, if he wants 4k he needs to fix the engine and t-top leaks and take it to one of those paintless dent repair places, at 5k he should have it painted.
Mike's 01WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
TECH Apprentice
 
UnleashedBeast's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 SS View Post
I am not that familiar with the LSx engines, but I would doubt they are as robust as the LT1's.
No offense, as you stated above that you are not familiar with the LS1, but....

The LS1 is superior to the LT1 in EVERY catergory except one....which "was" VERY debatable. Some old school cats prefered the exhaust note of the LT1 VS. the LS1 back in the early catback only days. Now that true duals are the norm even that debate is a flawless victory for the LS1.

IMHO, you can keep your LT1 leaky water pumps, shoty crappyspark ignition system, and OBD1 engine management. The gen III revolutionized engine technology in the domestic V8.
UnleashedBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:40 AM   #15
TECH Fanatic
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LITH, IL.
Posts: 1,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
IMHO, you can keep your LT1 leaky water pumps, shoty crappyspark ignition system, and OBD1 engine management. The gen III revolutionized engine technology in the domestic V8.
I know! My water pump had to be replaced at only 170K miles (after the car was stolen and beat on until both tires were bald (one exploded), engine was spun fast and long enough to waste the power steering pump too. The lousy Optispark was replaced at 205K miles (it was still good, but was in there replacing the original spark plug wires so I swapped it out, I mean, really...essentially a simple distributor cap and it barely went 200K miles without a hiccup or replacement. Obviously a junk design. Probably by the same guy who dreamed up the 4L60E, that piece of garbage only went 235K before I had to replace it.
__________________
-Douglas
"Fear is a feeling, not a barrier." -me, 1998.
2006 Impy SS, LS4 transportation appliance 100K (Ultra-flo's, spacer, CQL rockers, DRB, etc).
1996 Fleetwood Brougham LT1 101K.
1995 Caprice 9c1 LT1, 238K (in more than one piece and being parted out)
1985 Honda VF1100S, for those days when you just have to crank off an 11 second quarter-mile. 22K
06 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #16
TECH Apprentice
 
UnleashedBeast's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 SS View Post
I know! My water pump had to be replaced at only 170K miles (after the car was stolen and beat on until both tires were bald (one exploded), engine was spun fast and long enough to waste the power steering pump too. The lousy Optispark was replaced at 205K miles (it was still good, but was in there replacing the original spark plug wires so I swapped it out, I mean, really...essentially a simple distributor cap and it barely went 200K miles without a hiccup or replacement. Obviously a junk design. Probably by the same guy who dreamed up the 4L60E, that piece of garbage only went 235K before I had to replace it.
Wow, you were one of the lucky ones.
UnleashedBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #17
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 716
Default

Boys boys. . . .the LT1 does have some quirks. . .just like every motor. Remember though, it was the staple of a crate engine for years and years and has made many a killer hotrod.
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
TECH Junkie
 
Nacho SS's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 805-818
Posts: 3,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemoney View Post
Boys boys. . . .the LT1 does have some quirks. . .just like every motor. Remember though, it was the staple of a crate engine for years and years and has made many a killer hotrod.
True, but it is inferior to a LS1 in just about every category.
__________________
Nacho SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #19
TECH Enthusiast
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 716
Default

^^Not going to argue with you there
eddiemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #20
TECH Apprentice
 
UnleashedBeast's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 317
Default

Can someone name ONE THING on the LT1 that is better than the LS1? I can think of...NOTHING!
UnleashedBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:37 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details