LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pease help this pos wont start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pease help this pos wont start!!!!

I dont know if this is the right thread but my friend blew his motor (its a lt1 in a 1995 camaro) so he bought a motor out of a 1993 vette. so the opti, water pump, intake, fuel rail, oil pan, windage tray, pickup tube, balancer, timing cover,cam, timing gear, and maybe a few other things were diff, I changed everything but the opti back, the car is getting fire to plugs for sure i tested it, its also getting fuel to the rails, but it wont start. it turns over then drags then turns over then drags until the battery goes dead. whats wrong please any input would be great cause im tired of working on this pos!!!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using the 95 Camaro intake, fuel rail, injectors, MAF sensor, engine harness, vented opti, all the accessory and bracket?

Only thing from the 93 Vette engine you should be using is the long block.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1
Are you using the 95 Camaro intake, fuel rail, injectors, MAF sensor, engine harness, vented opti, all the accessory and bracket?

Only thing from the 93 Vette engine you should be using is the long block.
thats right ! Only thing u should be using is the block ..what else did u swap from the vette ?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

i used the opti but i used everything else from the camaro. Like i said though it is getting fire just wont start. mybe it jumped time or something
Old 10-16-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Too many varibles. IF ya have spark do you have fuel pressure? compression
All the grounds hooked up? the security light isnt flashing is it vats enabled it wont start
Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it probably skipped time or something, if I recall the early optis were a bi#ch to line up to the correct mark... but if your interested in some reading those who wanted to have some background on the opti read this...

Early Opti-Spark systems had a tendency to collect moisture that would interfere with the function of the optical sensor and cause the engine to run very poorly. This condition would often induce cross- and misfire similar to a cracked distributor cap on a conventional ignition. Two distinct faults were at work when this occurred. The first was inaccurate primary interrupts from the moisture affecting the optical sensor's ability to clearly define the leading and falling edges of the 360-slot wheel. The second was more rudimentary. Electricity taking the path of least resistance, the high-energy secondary voltage would sooner follow the moisture down into the cap than bridge the spark plug under cylinder pressure. The high voltage would burn through the rotor or the slotted wheel, stopping the engine in its tracks.

To eliminate this problem, later designs incorporated a more efficient venting system that pulled air through the distributor housing from the throttle body. This was supposed to eliminate once and for all the moisture issue.

Other changes were made over the years to the engine-side of the housing and the size and attachment of the drive mechanism. Due to this there are three different timing case covers used on LT1 engines. Abe Bergian, motorsports service manager at Jay Fisher Pontiac-GMC, explained that the 1992 to 1994 versions of the Opti-Spark on both F- and Y-cars had no vent and used the timing case cover with a small distributor drive hole. 1994 B-cars used a new timing case and companion Opti-Spark that had increased venting, a serviceable cap and rotor, and a new-style drive attachment to the camshaft. This style was then switched to the F- and Y-cars for the 1995 model year. With the arrival of OBD-II for 1996, the timing case was again modified to accept a crankshaft sensor for misfire diagnostics but the Opti-Spark was unchanged. The older-style unvented design can be updated to the final version but would require a new-style timing case, Opti-Spark distributor, and changes to the cam drive mechanism. In addition, a longer dowel pin needs to be installed in the camshaft to drive the distributor. The first iteration used a traditional short Chevrolet cam dowel pin.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also found a few pics

early opti - http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg

late opti - http://www.golenengineservice.com/as...es/a3_0302.jpg
and http://www.golenengineservice.com/as...s/Opti_pic.jpg

OK those only work sometimes but this may help show the differences http://shbox.com/ci/opti_mounting.jpg
Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
Too many varibles. IF ya have spark do you have fuel pressure? compression
All the grounds hooked up? the security light isnt flashing is it vats enabled it wont start
if it was a VATS problem the car wouldnt even turn over so he can probably eliminate that.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could be your opti or your icm.. the bad thing about lts is you have to be year specific when your dealing with them....if its not all spcific to your year of car then odds are your not going to be running...

is your spark iradic? check your coil!! see if you have spark there...
Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

i fixed it it was the little gear between the opti and the motor

Quick Reply: Pease help this pos wont start!!!!