LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help installing tachometer on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help installing tachometer on LT1

i got an autometer tach and shift light that i am wanting to mount on my dash. I am wanting to know if anyone has some info on installing this on a 96 lt1 trans am? it has red,black,white and green wires, and i am curious if yall know where to run the wires in the dash and where to hook them up at?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

My guess without looking at a wiring diagram. The red is a keyed 12volt. The Black is a ground. The white is to be wired to a factory dash wire the hooks to the dash lights and the green goes to the tach wire at the pcm!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Launching!

ok i figured ya know the red was to power and red was ground and the white , i wasnt sure exactly where to hook it up at , like the light switch or wherever and the green i had no clue ! also i was curious on how to run the wires in the dash like where at? i was hoping someone had pics of this setup so i could see how they ran the wires
Old 10-20-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

I Got all this from "SHOEBOX" and his web site shbox.com. There is tons of stuff u can look up! Hook the white wire to somewhere there in this diagram. Look for a switch. http://shbox.com/1/interior_lights_1995.jpg
Hook the green wire up to the Pcm. Look for the red connector going into the pcm the wire is #13 and its white! http://shbox.com/1/1995_pcm_conn_a.jpg
As for running the wires its up to you, but i would take the cluster bezel off and run it behind there!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Teching In

hey, to get to the pcm u have to take it out, there are only 2 bolts. u can run the green wire to the wire on the pcm through a grommet that is in the firewall. if you reach up around the kick panel u will feel it. what i did was i stuck a screw driver through there and taped the wire to the screw driver then pulled it out from the engine bay
Old 10-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Launching!

what do u mean u had to take the bezel off to run it?, did u have to take ur dash out to put the screws in or pre-drill it?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Launching!

ok well that shoebox link u posted up for the interior lights diagram, makes NO sense to me at all , i dont even know where to start looking on here lol

Quick Reply: Help installing tachometer on LT1