LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

y pipe suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y pipe suggestions

I have a 94 z28. I live in cali and smog restrictions limit everything. Oh well, I wanna do it anyway. I have a vortex cherrybomb muffler and edlebrock shorty headers. Ok so I wanna do a loud exhaust.(head turning one, and I don't care about cops) Catback first? what does anyone recommend for an exhuast. I wanna take out the cat(yes I know it is illegal) I hate my tips, I think camaros look silly with them. straight pipe into the muffler without tips? go with a bullet hidden before the axle?

ANy help is appreciated.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want loud then get a Loudmouth catback and gut the cat but you might get some raspy sound if you gut it. What I would do is get a Magnaflow catback then get an electric cutout so that way you can have a decent mean sound, then with a switch of a button its an open header monster. Thats what I have on mine and its great.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ogp120
I have a 94 z28. I live in cali and smog restrictions limit everything. Oh well, I wanna do it anyway. I have a vortex cherrybomb muffler and edlebrock shorty headers. Ok so I wanna do a loud exhaust.(head turning one, and I don't care about cops) Catback first? what does anyone recommend for an exhuast. I wanna take out the cat(yes I know it is illegal) I hate my tips, I think camaros look silly with them. straight pipe into the muffler without tips? go with a bullet hidden before the axle?

ANy help is appreciated.
Shorty headers won't be head-turning loud. You'll need a set of some long tubes for that.

Maybe things are different in Cali though because of all the SMOG restrictions. But I drove my car around town all day for a couple of weeks with an open cut out with shorty headers and it really wasn't too loud. I never even got pulled over for it.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Long Tubes will get you a better sound..how are the Inspections out there?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cali is the worst when it comes with emissions. If it does not have a CARB stamp then your screwed. If you want to keep it smog legal then just keep the shorty headers and get a cutout.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
Long Tubes will get you a better sound..how are the Inspections out there?
From what I've read the Visual Inspections are pretty hardcore. The cats have to remain in there factory location and must be a factory style cat.

Quick Reply: y pipe suggestions