LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intermediate Pipe Help..

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermediate Pipe Help..

Just installed my Pacesetter LT's, have the matching Y pipe hooked up, but now i need the intermediate pipe from the Y to the muffler... The stock one is too small to match the new Y, and Im gonna go with a magnaflow muffler, any ideas on an intermediate pipe? I found one on summitracing.com but the terms are throwing me off on if it will fit the new Y or not... Links would be appreciated! Would like to order tonight so it gets here asap
Old 12-19-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you just getting the muffler or the whole catback? if you get the catback it will slide right on the y-pipe no problem since it would come with that intermediate pipe. you might want to get the catback also just so you have 3in exhaust all the way back.

you could also go to a muffler shop and see if they would bend up a transition piece from the ypipe to the stock exhaust. 3in to 2.5in reducer
Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Just gonna get the muffler, its a whole lot cheaper than the cat back, problem being I cant find an intermediate pipe... if there are none out there i'll go with the cat back, but otherwise i'd like to do them separate
Old 12-19-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ28
Just gonna get the muffler, its a whole lot cheaper than the cat back, problem being I cant find an intermediate pipe... if there are none out there i'll go with the cat back, but otherwise i'd like to do them separate
yeah its going to be cheaper for just the muffler but with the catback your also paying for the 3in I-pipe, the bend over the axle and then the two pipes coming out the muffler along with tips that come with it. plus its stainless steel and mandrel bent

are you inststalling the muffler yourself? i went the same route you did when i first got my car and just bought a magnaflow muffler. it cost me about $230ish for the install total. i should of just saved up another 100 and bought the catback. which i eventually did about a year later. i dont think your going to find a I-pipe that will go from a 3in y-pipe to a stock exhaust. i dont know, i might be wrong.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Yea the more i look the more i think i'll just go with the cat back... thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, i know its not what you wanted to hear. BUT i noticed a nice increase in power and torque going from LT headers w/ the stock exhaust connected to the y-pipe, to the magnaflow catback. i could just tell there was a restriction and the catback solved that problem.

it will be worth it in the end even though your paying more now. and at least you will have a full 3in exhaust now. believe me, i went the cheaper route and i just ended paying more in the long run.

Quick Reply: Intermediate Pipe Help..