LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lack of power

well i've got a new opti on the way for my car.. i'm pretty confident that it's the problem with my car lacking power especially since it seems to have a dead cyl.. but the biggest problem is, it just lacks power. it seems to run consistant, but just down on power. it's pretty odd, i can pull the injector plug on the cyl in question, and not hear a noticeable difference, but pulling the injector plug on the others makes a difference at idle.. really i just want to set the damn thing on fire, and buy another mustang... here's my questions

ok, so i've read it could be the dist cap/rotor.. so i have a whole opti ordered.

knock sensor, well can u just disconnect the thing and it be normal?, or does it need to be plugged in at all times.

maf?

o2 sensors? but it's not throwing a code

fuel pump? i guess it's possible

plug wires?

i'm really leaning twards it being the distributor cap, especially since it seems to have dropped a cyl..

it's just such an irritating problem, because the car seems to run sorta kinda ok.. it's nothing that is messing up bad enough to where i can put my finger on it.. it has a slight exhaust leak so it makes detecting the miss even more of a pain in the ***, and a dead cyl is not as easy to hear on a 8cyl as it is on a 4 or 6 cyl...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Recently, my car has been running slower than normal with some odd vibes in upper RPM range. One day I started driving and my car would just rock, knock, jump, and jerk with throttle. About 10 minutes of driving I had my SES light flashing, used a scanner and found cylinder 7 was misfiring. I saw my #7 plugwire arcing to my headers. I thought I had the wires tucked properly, but I was wrong. It was probably 2 weeks of my car running "slow" before I noticed the misfire. It's temporarily running right now with re-tucked wires and electrical tape around the cracks in the wires until I get a new set of wires next week. It's not misfiring or jerking anymore, but the power is still not there.

Cliff notes: Check your plug wires for any hot/burn spots on them or cracks, even when you think they are good.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Teching In

changed opti, problem solved