LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

msd rebuild help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default msd rebuild help.

ok so im trying to rebuild my opti with an msd rebuild kit. The two dowels on the inner housing dont seem to line up very well at all. It kinda binds and doesent want to go down all the way. Also, do i just bolt the rotor down the same as the old one with just that washer? It seems like it wants to rub on the housing when its down flat with the screws in, like its too low, and the rubber seal that goes up into the rotor seems too tall. I know it will just squash down when i screw the rotor down, it just doesent seem like it going tougether right. I know i probably should have gotten a delco opti, i just thought this would work fine Pease help!!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I rebuilt one yesterday with an MSD kit and it went together beautifully, I bet the reason the the rotor is rubbing a little bit is because of that reubber seal on the backing plate is not installed correctly, take your time and get that backing plate to sit flush with the seal inside the channel and everything else will go much smoother. Personally I added extra loc tite to the rotor screws while I was in there, just for peace of mind
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

So where do the 2 washers they give you go? I just want to make sure nothing goes under the rotor. It looks like it's just that one washer with the two bolt hole for the rotor, and the hole for the rotor dowel. Is that right?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

the two washers go on the two rotor screws
Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

What?! I called msd and they said they are for a different setup, something about weights or something. Mine actually dont even fit in the rotor, theyr too big for the holes.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Just did mine today as well and those little screws literally didn't fit in the cavity for the rotor screws. I had the same issue with my rotor hitting and was the lower isolator seal rolled out and pushed up on the isolated, re seated And spins great.

Quick Reply: msd rebuild help.