LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil smells like GAS BAD!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil smells like GAS BAD!!!!!!

Guys as you all know I was suppose to go race a GTO tonite and I went out to go check over the car to make sure fluids were good and needless to say I pulled the oil dipstick and I could instantly smell gas. I had this problem not to long ago when the O2s were reading false due to me splicing the wires for the long tubes. I fixed that problem and well I guess it didn't fix it. I don't have a wideband to see exactly what the A/F is but the plugs look great. I am thinking I have a injector stuck open but after 3 hours of sitting I still had fuel pressure and like I said plugs look good, or maybe my timing is still off and it is too advanced....IDK this is driving me nuts. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, it sais PCMforless in your sig, a mail order tune might have netted a long duty cycle on the injector pulse, so you can be ritch as hell. That can also wash the rings out. Not to mention, if you have high miles on the engine, you might be on the bad side with the rings as it is, does it ever use any oil between 3000 mile intervals?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the plugs look good? You could just have some shot oil, change it and go from there.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Drain the oil. Does too much come out? Is there fuel in it?

If so, check for a stuck open injector or injector wire to the PCM that's grounded holding the injector open. This grounded wire will set a code but NOT light the SES light.

Ask me how I know...
Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

The same thing actually happened to my lawn tractor. Apparently it was the breather valve that lets air in the crankcase move in an out a bit. I have no clue if there's something similar on our cars or if that will help (especially since the lawnmower is carbureted, but just my 2 cents.

Let us know how you end up fixing it
Old 01-26-2009, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Ok little update. I have changed the oil and yes it looked to be a little gas in there but nothing like I would have figured. After putting about 200 miles on the new valvoline synthetic it smells the same way. I have come to a conclusion that I think it is the oil and not anything wrong with the car. I would have to be running pretty damn rich to be washing out the cylinders and there is not evidence of that(spark plugs look good and no black smoke). So I am going to be trying to come buy a little bit of money and pick up A/F gauge and new wideband O2s to monitor the A/F ratio and change to Royal Purple. I have used that in the past and don't recall having this issue. The motor has about 72,000 on it(stock rebuild) and if and when she goes boom I will fix it then.....LOL

Quick Reply: Oil smells like GAS BAD!!!!!!