LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Milling Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milling Intake?

I am sucking oil through the bottom of the intake ports and am pretty sure the intake needs to be milled. When building the motor i was told by a "friend" to just slot the holes and it would be ok Anybody know a formula to know how much to be taken off? i found on one site for every .010 off the heads .0123 off the intake, but wouldnt you have to take block deck height into consideration? I believe my heads were milled .034 and block deck height is 9.016. Im going to the machine shop tomorrow but I like to have a good idea on what needs to be done so im not fed a line.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was getting oil in my intake.i had to use gaskit sealent around the intake ports. i think that fixed it.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
I am sucking oil through the bottom of the intake ports and am pretty sure the intake needs to be milled. When building the motor i was told by a "friend" to just slot the holes and it would be ok Anybody know a formula to know how much to be taken off? i found on one site for every .010 off the heads .0123 off the intake, but wouldnt you have to take block deck height into consideration? I believe my heads were milled .034 and block deck height is 9.016. Im going to the machine shop tomorrow but I like to have a good idea on what needs to be done so im not fed a line.
If possible you need to determine where the interference is. One of the features on the 190cc and 200cc cut stock heads that we include is re-milling of all flanges. For stock short blocks the intake flange is already corrected. However, any time you have a milled block you are going to change that relationship. Most machine shops do not mill the end rails as well as the block decks if you do not ask for it. Your manifold is likely sitting on the end rails of the block. If that is the case then you can just have ~.075"+ cut off them. Some guys even clearance end rails themselves with a die grinder. Hope that helps!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill be picking up the intake thursday. seems like i might have diagnosed it wrong. when i pulled the intake i saw oil on the bottom half of the gasket, but the shop owner showed me the gasket was being crushed even and the alignment shouldnt be off enough to cause oil being sucked up through the ports. he wants to hold off on machining the intake and see if its still sucking oil. he did find the plugs on the bottom loose and resealed them; believes this to be the main cause of oil in the intake. also said a couple rocker studs were leaking but not enough to cause the problem.

ill throw the intake on thursday and see how it lines up again. should i mock it up with the intake gaskets or bare?

Quick Reply: Milling Intake?