LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Long tube headers and steel fuel lines.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Long tube headers and steel fuel lines.

I have a feeling that my left side long tube header and ORY pipe are too close, in two places, to the fuel lines. There was about an inch of clearance at the most. I am also thinking that because the steel fuel lines are so close to the exhaust, maybe when the engine is turned off, the gas in the lines are boiling and causing my "hard start" condition only when the motor is warm.

I have fabbed a couple of brackets to move the steel fuel lines about 2-3 inches from the headers which is about the most it can go. I am also putting some heat sleeves over the fuel lines to better block heat.

What do you guys do to shield the steel fuel lines from the heat from the long tube headers? Will hot fuel lines cause a hard start condition?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently put thermotec heat sleeve on mine, a couple layers on the plastic portion of the lines and a single layer on the metal line. I have to do a little more shifting of the lines as I have one spot closer than I'd like.

Are you moving your lines further up the tunnel or moving them more under the floorboard?

With some good reflective heat sleeve like the DEI or Thermotec I'd think an inch would be sufficient, anything more than that would be great. The further the better, but only so much shifting around you can do with stock lines.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fbody4Ever
Are you moving your lines further up the tunnel or moving them more under the floorboard?
Both. A couple of small metal brackets using existing holes in the chassis tucked them up further away from the pipes.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fbody4Ever
Any pics?
Done got it off the jackstands. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Long tube headers and steel fuel lines.