LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Vertical radiator and LT1 water pump... Nd some help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vertical radiator and LT1 water pump... Nd some help!

Trying to install a vertical mount Griffin univ. radiator. Didnt realize I even had this hose until today!

What does the highlighted hose do and can I cap it off at the water pump?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the oil cooler, I capped mine off.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's not necessary. In non-oil cooler option fbodys, that hose is run as you see it in the diagram you posted. In fbody's with oil collers, that lower radiator port runs to the oil cooler and then to the port on the WP.

When I deleted my oil cooler, I just capped off the lower port of the rad and the port on the WP. No problems whatsoever. I have no heater hoses either, so my car cooling system is old school, just the two hoses, upper and lower radiator hoses.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
It's not necessary. In non-oil cooler option fbodys, that hose is run as you see it in the diagram you posted. In fbody's with oil collers, that lower radiator port runs to the oil cooler and then to the port on the WP.

When I deleted my oil cooler, I just capped off the lower port of the rad and the port on the WP. No problems whatsoever. I have no heater hoses either, so my car cooling system is old school, just the two hoses, upper and lower radiator hoses.
Very nice. My heater hoses are gone too. Heading outside to finish this right now. Thanks guys!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

What size do you need to plug 'em? I imagine you pulled the actual tubes and freeze plugged 'em?

I plan to pull my whole hvac system sometime this year.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
What size do you need to plug 'em? I imagine you pulled the actual tubes and freeze plugged 'em?

I plan to pull my whole hvac system sometime this year.
No, I got ragged on for doing this, but I took thick bypass caps and clamped them on the ports. They have worked thus far with no issues. But if you wanted to be more thorough, you could get the ports on the WP welded.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

No, I got ragged on for doing this, but I took thick bypass caps and clamped them on the ports. They have worked thus far with no issues. But if you wanted to be more thorough, you could get the ports on the WP welded.
Hmmm, be careful, I've had bypass caps crack on me over the years.

Quick Reply: Vertical radiator and LT1 water pump... Nd some help!