LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Automaited car wash and the LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Automaited car wash and the LT1

Im sure it is safe to take an opti spark car though the car wash, but just dont get the salt remover spray or any other kind of spray underneeth correct?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, I wouldn't run it through an automatic car wash anyway.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Yea I wouldnt normally do it to any of my nice cars, but the 95 is nothing special
Old 03-08-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

I once did a touchless carwash, and I think I did the undercarriage spray too.

I obviously had the car running, and I got scared because it you'd see the steam from the hood, and the car started shaking, the idle was out of whack. After awhile it went back to normal. I decided not to run it through that anymore, plus the ttops can't keep up w/ that much water and pressure.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

I took mine through Touchless once. But it didn't spray underneath.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Gone through touchless with undercairrage spray countless times. If a little water makes it run that bad the wires are bad or the opti not sealed, both are mechanical issues not opti flaws.

Don't buy into the internet hype about how bad the opti is, if YOU are competent it works wonderfully, if you are NOT competent you can make even the best designed parts behave like crap. The later is what happens a LOT.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did mine a few weeks ago through an auto wash w/ no problem. i specifically ran it through for the underbody because i took it out the day before on what i thought were clean roads and some salt dust got on the rockers, even though i washed them off by handi wanted to make sure i got everything.

last summer i had a car wash place clean my engine (something they had done before w/ no problem) and they apparantly had trouble with their rinser and didn't rinse all the degreaser off and some of it got into the opti spark. about 5 mins after i left the car wash the car started misfiring and as i pulled off into a gas station it died and wouldnt start. i cranked it a couple times w/ no luck and let it sit for 10 mins and then it fired up, still msifiring a bit but i drove it another 5 mi twords my house and it seemed like it was running ok but the CEL was still on. i pulled into a church parking lot, shut the car off and restarted it and it was fine with no CEL and never had a problem after that. thank goodness for vented optis, lol.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

I've gone through without issues. But I don't make it a regular occurence.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive done it a few times never had a problem
Old 03-08-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im actually more worried about the mirrors than the opti when i use an auto wash. my g/f had hers knocked off her 98 grand am gt. the brushes spinning and the big thing dragging just looks to be a lot.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Launching!

I just went through One yesterday and besides the Crappy wash it gave me($9 BTW) My car ran just as good going in as out.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know my opti was changed 20k miles ago at a dealer and gives me no problems so I think I am more confortable with taking it through since some of you have no problems. I have been driving it and I know there is some sand and salt underneeth so why not, as long as it stays running.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

You SHOULD be fine.. I've had my car since August with stock opti (I think? ) and about 101k miles and have ran it through the auto carwash about 10 times
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
+1...there are garbage. Especially the touchless ones.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've taken my car through countless touchless washes. My original opti lasted for over 6 years and over 100K miles. It would have probably made it longer if I hadn't put my car into extended storage.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I DD my car I would sometimes use the touchless with the under car wash. I had no idea the opti's were bad about getting wet untill only about 2 years ago! I had more of a problem with getting sprayed in the head from the high pressure spraying the t-top/window seal! As said before I think it's more of an issue of bad/worn parts and the water makes them show themselves. As with any electrical part I wouldn't want to spray the opti directly with water though!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

i went threw a touchless once and what killed my opti was the dryer as you drive out, it pushed the water right up into it. DONT USE THE DRYER !!!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by djjab57
i went threw a touchless once and what killed my opti was the dryer as you drive out, it pushed the water right up into it. DONT USE THE DRYER !!!

You are wrong.

IF the opti gets wet inside it is just like any other distributor and the engine can run bad or shut down. Thing is once it dries it will run fine again.

I wonder how many hundreds of optis have been replaced by ignorant fools who failed to comprehend this simple fact.

When I was into 4X4 trucks I managed to drown a few by getting the top rear mounted distributor wet, give it 10 minutes to drain and they were fine.

The opti gets bashed because it is DIFFERENT. Like I said competent wrenches have few problems with it, it is the incompetent that can't make it work. The reasoning skills of a elementary school student can figure out that that is a problem with the wrench not the part.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Why risk it? That's my stance on the subject.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You are wrong.

IF the opti gets wet inside it is just like any other distributor and the engine can run bad or shut down. Thing is once it dries it will run fine again.

I wonder how many hundreds of optis have been replaced by ignorant fools who failed to comprehend this simple fact.

When I was into 4X4 trucks I managed to drown a few by getting the top rear mounted distributor wet, give it 10 minutes to drain and they were fine.

The opti gets bashed because it is DIFFERENT. Like I said competent wrenches have few problems with it, it is the incompetent that can't make it work. The reasoning skills of a elementary school student can figure out that that is a problem with the wrench not the part.
look dont try and call me out, mine went about a week later . just got worse as the week went by, had plenty of time for the water to dry up. so before you start name calling and saying someone is wrong with out knowing the facts STFU. i by all means dont know everything thats why i will ask on here. yes sometimes dumb questions but if i dont know i will ask. but on this i KNOW it is what caused my opti to go out. IT GOT TO MUCH WATER IN IT !!! and the blower from the car wash forced it up in it. now i only hand wash it. that was my second bad encounter with one. the first time was with a car wash that has the spinning brushes, the long spinning part jumped up on the rear and it has a hard plastic piece on the bottom. it sat on my rear glass and spoiler and was grinding the paint off

Quick Reply: Automaited car wash and the LT1