LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How do you think it would sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you think it would sound?

I'm looking for budget stuff to do to my camaro (making it a budget racer of some sort I think), and I had a thought the other day.

First I was considering a TSP rumbler catback because it was cheap, but then I realized something. For now (before I do full exhaust) I could just take the catback off, and instead of replacing it with another one, just buy a muffler that I could use with some duals later, and put that on the end of the stock Y pipe for now.

So if I were to do that... with say a single chamber flowmaster, and just attach it to the end of the stock Y-pipe, how do you think it would sound? Loud obviously, but that's ok for this car. I don't know, for a cheap temporary solution that I can use the parts for the real exhaust later... what do you think? (I could even attach it with come clamps so I don't have to pay to have it welded/unwelded).
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it'll sound like a dumped slp loudmouth pretty much, though the 10 series will sound better

as for single chamber, check ebay I've seen flowmaster 1 chamber knockoffs for like $20 a piece, pretty nice considering a flowmaster 10 series is closer to $90 each. a member on here or another forum used them on his true dual setup and sounded just like 1 chambers

I'd recommend picking up those mufflers and the summit/jegs universal x-pipe kit and you can have a full setup for around $130
Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myltwon
it'll sound like a dumped slp loudmouth pretty much, though the 10 series will sound better

as for single chamber, check ebay I've seen flowmaster 1 chamber knockoffs for like $20 a piece, pretty nice considering a flowmaster 10 series is closer to $90 each. a member on here or another forum used them on his true dual setup and sounded just like 1 chambers

I'd recommend picking up those mufflers and the summit/jegs universal x-pipe kit and you can have a full setup for around $130
Yep, that's what I used for my duals. The mufflers cost me a whopping $60-$65 shipped to my door. I couldn't be any happier with them. Also, unlike the Flowmasters, they're ceramic coated.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did something like this earlier on with the bird. However, I cut the original cat-back piping after the turn into the driveshaft tunnel and put on a Moroso spiral pro, bullet style muffler. Sounded awesome, nicely tucked, bought 2 of them for true duals but have since went with a TSP for now.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like I might give it a shot then.... Thanks for the ebay tip too
Old 03-20-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

probably sound good