LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

***optispark question***

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***optispark question***

ok so im on my third optispark in this car, 1st one was the original one, jus worn over time, 2nd was thanks to my water pump pissin coolant all over it, and my 3rd is the one in it now. well, just got out of work, raining like you wouldnt belive, and i was about to grab a coffee through a drive thru and completly forgot about the giant flood that always happens next to this dunkin donuts...saw it last second before i could turn around and prolly hit it at about 10 miles an hour and slowed down so i wouldnt keep splashing it. well needless to say, right when i stopped to order it started bogging and sputtering, so i just left, it barely wanted to go anywhere, stalled on me 2 times on the ride home while moving, of course around corners so i had no powersteering just to aggrevate me more...everytime it stalled it seemed to run and drive perfect again for like 20 seconds after i started it, and then it would just **** the bed again. now just becase its only water, and not coolant gettin all dried up and gross in there, will it just dry out and be fine in a couple days?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994lt1ta
ok so im on my third optispark in this car, 1st one was the original one, jus worn over time, 2nd was thanks to my water pump pissin coolant all over it, and my 3rd is the one in it now. well, just got out of work, raining like you wouldnt belive, and i was about to grab a coffee through a drive thru and completly forgot about the giant flood that always happens next to this dunkin donuts...saw it last second before i could turn around and prolly hit it at about 10 miles an hour and slowed down so i wouldnt keep splashing it. well needless to say, right when i stopped to order it started bogging and sputtering, so i just left, it barely wanted to go anywhere, stalled on me 2 times on the ride home while moving, of course around corners so i had no powersteering just to aggrevate me more...everytime it stalled it seemed to run and drive perfect again for like 20 seconds after i started it, and then it would just **** the bed again. now just becase its only water, and not coolant gettin all dried up and gross in there, will it just dry out and be fine in a couple days?
If it dries out, you'll be fine. But you have an unvented opti, so hopefully it doesn't keep the moisture in there and rust the points and optical wheel.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Teching In

so basically having the thing run horribly and stall out and such is completly normal? becase i jus sat outside letting it run, revvin it a little hoping it would dry it out or somethin but it just kept bogging and dying and making me more aggrevated. this puddle was a big bastard granted i only hit it at 5-10mph
Old 04-03-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

so basically having the thing run horribly and stall out and such is completly normal? becase i jus sat outside letting it run, revvin it a little hoping it would dry it out or somethin but it just kept bogging and dying and making me more aggrevated. this puddle was a big bastard granted i only hit it at 5-10mph
It's not about how fast you hit it, it matters if you got moisture in the opti or not. If you did, then you are either going to have to let it dry some how, or you might need a new one.

Next time, seal the opti up with some rtv so that no moisture gets in again. Or buy a MSD cap and rotor and make it a vented conversion opti.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Teching In

ya it sucks cuz its kinda impossible to dry for a few days cuz its non stop rain around here for like the last week and a half straight...the thing with the speed was, i was jus hoping i didnt get it too too wet because i wasnt barrel assing through a puddle. but idk i took it for a ride right after you told me to dry it out...ran beautiful for like the first 2 miles and then it jus started shittin out, really wet around here right now so i dont know how much luck ill have even though ill boat around for a lil trying to dry it out tomorrow. now do you have any idea why when i had it running with my foot on the gas a little keeping it at abot 1k rpms, it was running real rough and i felt like i was giving enough gas to be at 2500, but all of the sudden it would shoot from that 1k to the 2500, my check engine would come on but it would run beautifully for a minute or so, the light would go off and it would start running like **** again...i dont kno that kind of blew my mind, what do you think the situation with that is?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

ya it sucks cuz its kinda impossible to dry for a few days cuz its non stop rain around here for like the last week and a half straight...the thing with the speed was, i was jus hoping i didnt get it too too wet because i wasnt barrel assing through a puddle. but idk i took it for a ride right after you told me to dry it out...ran beautiful for like the first 2 miles and then it jus started shittin out, really wet around here right now so i dont know how much luck ill have even though ill boat around for a lil trying to dry it out tomorrow. now do you have any idea why when i had it running with my foot on the gas a little keeping it at abot 1k rpms, it was running real rough and i felt like i was giving enough gas to be at 2500, but all of the sudden it would shoot from that 1k to the 2500, my check engine would come on but it would run beautifully for a minute or so, the light would go off and it would start running like **** again...i dont kno that kind of blew my mind, what do you think the situation with that is?
Read the codes, that will give you a clue to your problems.

Quick Reply: ***optispark question***