LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

perfect ending to a not so perfect day.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perfect ending to a not so perfect day.

so I got my engine out a few day ago. Ive been spending a few hours a day tearing it down. everything was going smoothly until last night when I didnt have the puller to get the hub off the crank. SO today when I wok up I went and bought the puller(orileys). Got home and none of the bolt fit the threads plus the original bolts wouldnt fit through the slots for the bolts. went to autozone and they looking it up and gave me the puller their system said i needed. Come home and the bolts still didnt fit the holes. I finally found an old puller and some bolt in the garage that fit perfectly(we own a sawmill so we have prolly everybolt ever made LOL). I got everything even and turned it about five 1/4 turns and snap. here is the result.

any ideas on what to do?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have access to a welder, try and weld it back on. I had to use a propane torch to get mine off, but it will burn the seal which you should replace anyways

make sure the center bolt holding the crank hub is out also
Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think I know exactly what happened. The LT1 crank hub is different than a SBC crank hub. The SBC crank hub has a large hole that slips over the crank snout. The LT1 slips over the crank snout in the same way, however, there is only a small hole in the opening of the crank hub (http://www.shbox.com/1/hub.jpg). You were probably pushing on the hub and pulling on the hub at the same time, that's what snapped it.

What you have to do is get a rod of some kind, I use a 4" brake caliper bolt (something smooth with no threads and long enough to push on the back of the crank bolt hole, similar to this http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/images/wca/720338.jpg), and slip it through the hole in the crank hub, then use a harmonic balancer puller or use a 3 jaw puller and push against that bolt, the hub should come off.

Looks like you need a new crank hub too.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

I have a welder in the garage but Im not that well at welding.

The bolt is out. There wasn't one in it. LOL I guess the previous owner removed it and didnt put it back in.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I think I know exactly what happened. The LT1 crank hub is different than a SBC crank hub. The SBC crank hub has a large hole that slips over the crank snout. The LT1 slips over the crank snout in the same way, however, there is only a small hole in the opening of the crank hub (http://www.shbox.com/1/hub.jpg). You were probably pushing on the hub and pulling on the hub at the same time, that's what snapped it.

What you have to do is get a rod of some kind, I use a 4" brake caliper bolt (something smooth with no threads and long enough to push on the back of the crank bolt hole, similar to this http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/images/wca/720338.jpg), and slip it through the hole in the crank hub, then use a harmonic balancer puller or use a 3 jaw puller and push against that bolt, the hub should come off.

Looks like you need a new crank hub too.
awesome. Ill prolly make a trip to autozone soon to get a bolt like that. Thanks alot man! now I have hope again!!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

I got a hub if you need one
Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blake110106
I have a welder in the garage but Im not that well at welding.

The bolt is out. There wasn't one in it. LOL I guess the previous owner removed it and didnt put it back in.
just weld it enough to get it off, and as ss.slp.ls1 said above get a bolt that dont touch the threads that the puller can push the 2 apart
Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

An old, long head bolt with the threads ground off works well as a rod to push against.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can also get a hardened bolt at Ace that is smaller in diameter than the hole. and about the broken hub.............dude that sucks.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
I got a hub if you need one
cool cool. I might get that from you. i'll let you know soon!

yeah the broken hub sucks ***. I layed the broken piece beside my chair and when I went out there it was long gone. looked all over the place and cant find it.