LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AFR heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AFR heads

Anyone had any experience with these heads there going on a stock bottom end lt1 heres the link http://www.airflowresearch.com/store...oducts_id=3353
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1formula275
Anyone had any experience with these heads there going on a stock bottom end lt1 heres the link http://www.airflowresearch.com/store...oducts_id=3353
Not a great choice if you plan on leaving them as cast. If you send them to a good porter they will be awesome, but much to expensive and overkill on a stock bottom end LT1.

Personally on the stock bottom end I would run ported stockers, or maybe as cast darts. TFS heads kill CR too much on the stock shortblock and AFRs leave a bit to be desired as cast.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the older AFR190's and they flow really good out of the box, however if you're gonna spend 1800 on 180's from AFR I'd go ahead and have LE port your stockers out for less and his will out flow those AFR's all day long.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

My take is, don't let flow numbers give you an orgasm. Flow numbers are just that numbers. Numbers on a piece of paper.

The important issue is whether those numbers actually translate into improved/superior performance AND, if so, does that improved/superior performance justify the additional cost.

Many love to brag bout how many HP their engine makes at some screamingly high RPM, yet fail to temper that with comments on just how rarely the engine is ever up that high.

Take, for example, a 7000 rpm street engine that rumbles around town and is shown off every chance the owner has to pop the hood. Yet this same engine rarely gets above 3000 rpms in street driving.

What a waste; psychology has a name for such behavior. This isn't just my view either. The cam gurus at CompCams, Lunati and Crance have even commented on it; how so few actually have a plan when selecting parts.

But, HEY! he can brag, right? DUH!

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1formula275
I think everyone is going to tell you the same thing they told you in the last post. Ported stockers from either LE or AI or out of the box Darts. There isn't too many cylinder head manufactures that put up good numbers out of the box when it comes to the LT1.