LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating.

My car overheated today on the freeway. When I hit the brakes it cooled down. On my way up the hill where I live I noticed loss of power and some shaking. Made it to the hill and my water pump was leaking like crazy. Did this cause any damage to the engine? When I start it it still shakes a little bit. Did I blow a head gasket? Will just replacing the pump do the trick?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieSS
My car overheated today on the freeway. When I hit the brakes it cooled down. On my way up the hill where I live I noticed loss of power and some shaking. Made it to the hill and my water pump was leaking like crazy. Did this cause any damage to the engine? When I start it it still shakes a little bit. Did I blow a head gasket? Will just replacing the pump do the trick?
You need to check both your oil and coolant for signs of the other. Does your car smoke out the exhaust at all. Hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket.

Your sluggish feeling could be the fact that your water pump has leaked water all over you opti. The moisture inside will cause stubling. You might get lucky and your opti will dry out with no damage. BUT, since you have to replace your water pump, if your opti has any decent miles, you might as well replace it along with your water pump.

You can get a new opti from "thepartsladi" on Ebay.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you sir.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

open the rad cap and make sure your coolant looks normal. then pull your dipstick and do the same. if either looks like some nasty poop you've probably blown a head gasket

Quick Reply: Overheating.