LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cant get to turn over. power just disappears?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cant get to turn over. power just disappears?

ok on my 97 formula still pretty much stock sensors/electrics with exception to summit opti and tunercat programmed ecm.

i recently had some misfires out of nowhere so i got him i checked my optispark and didnt know what was wrong so i put it back well now i cant get it to even turn over. if the ignition is just to ON i had no power, i checked the ignition switch wires and the middle one had burned a little bit (which i read was normal to be melted and such) so i pulled the connector out of the harness and cut it and replaced it. i have full power and no issues with anything but as soon as i push the clutch/brake and try to start the dash goes pretty much dead and does nothing. i replaced battery and checked connections. I have no idea where to go with this. i checked all connections on front end and even re-installed the optispark to make sure i didnt miss anything.

i asked a few people at the pontiac dealership and was told it could be my starter solenoid but could be anything. anyone have any ideas. I need the car as i cant get to work without it and a loaned a car from my sister but she needs it back asap. Please help.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

you probably need to change the ignition switch, the one on top of the steering column
Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

the switch is probably burnt up, if you turn the key and everything goes out i bet thats what it is. It has happen to me twice
Old 05-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Teching In

i had a new switch installed about 1-2 years ago.

heres a update on what i did today. i hooked up the battery and tried to start it well i got it to turn over i guess if you can call it that. it tried anyways. also the battery cables, the pos and neg, are SUPER hot, it actually melted the connection cover on the neg.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

could be something else but my new one went out in 6 months, just saying it does happen
Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Teching In

no one else?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Teching In

ttt................

Quick Reply: cant get to turn over. power just disappears?