LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Signal Light issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signal Light issue.

Problem has been intermittent for the past year or so, seems to be getting worse though.

What happens is that sometimes the signals will stay solid when i activate them, does this on either side. HOWEVER, if i give the dash a smack, they will start blinking normally. Bulbs are all working.

Ive searched through a couple threads on this and came up with replacing the bulbs or the sockets themselves. However mine seems to be interior related.

I feel the problem is perhaps a bad ground somewhere in the dash, however i only have issues with the signal lights, nothing else.

Suggestions/advice welcome.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you ever tried doing the simplest thing-replacing the flasher?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

I have a similar problem. I had a bad socket for my backup light on the passenger side. Bought a new socket, installed it (matched wires coming out of the socket to the new ones) and the reverse light worked, but then my turn signals stopped working. Replaced the flasher and they started working except for the passenger side with the lights on. Lights off and they are fine. Suggestions? Thought maybe checking the bulbs...knowing my luck I could have busted a filament taking the cover off.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

On my 96 LT1 Vette, it turned out to be the connection the bulb was making in the socket.

The Vette has four rear lights (not counting the side marker and license plate lights) and my passenger side out-board turn signal was acting up.

I changed the flasher with no improvement. So I removed the offending bulb and saw a thin metal tab in the socket; 6 o'clock position.

I used a thin blade screw-driver and bent the tab UP just a bit, so it would make better contact with the side of the bulb.

BINGO!

Hope this helps.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shbox
Have you ever tried doing the simplest thing-replacing the flasher?
Did that today actually, replaced both hazards and signal flasher. So far so good. It just seemed like a odd coincidence that everytime i smacked the dash it would work properly. I guess it never really occured to me that the flasher is also located in the dash(general area anyways) haha. We shall see what happens.

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
On my 96 LT1 Vette, it turned out to be the connection the bulb was making in the socket.

The Vette has four rear lights (not counting the side marker and license plate lights) and my passenger side out-board turn signal was acting up.
I changed the flasher with no improvement. So I removed the offending bulb and saw a thin metal tab in the socket; 6 o'clock position.
I used a thin blade screw-driver and bent the tab UP just a bit, so it would make better contact with the side of the bulb.BINGO!
Hope this helps.Jake
Im hoping the flasher fixed my issue. If not ill be going through all the sockets and connections. Oh joy!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just to let everyone know, changing the flashers fixed my problem. The signal light audible click is much louder now too. I wish i would of done this last year when i had the problem.

Just wanted to put an end to the thread so if someone searches for a similar issue, they can see this.

Quick Reply: Signal Light issue.